uk xs 650 build

xs650nutt

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys new member here from the uk, just started my xs650 project thought id post it here aswell, im normally on customxs650.com a uk xs site thats quiet as hell, so go over and sign up if ya got an xs650!

Finally get to do a 650 build! After spending the last year or so on an xs500, fixing and sorting someone else's mistakes and "modifications" ive decided to never buy an unfinished project again! gave me a chance to get to grips with welding and a few other fabrication techniques, lets call the xs500 my college course;)

ive decided to keep this one simple and rideable for the simple reason of saleability;)

heres a few pictures of my inspiration....

inspiration1.jpg

inspiration2.jpg

....and the donor bike....

9e9efccd.jpg

de0f3e50.jpg

695d075b.jpg

714c614b.jpg

....and the tear down....

DSCF1805.jpg

DSCF1806.jpg

....VM34 roundslides....

DSCF1807.jpg

....my mate 1axe; cheers again bro;)

DSCF1811.jpg

DSCF1812.jpg

DSCF1815.jpg

DSCF1816.jpg

DSCF1821.jpg

DSCF1822.jpg

DSCF1825.jpg

...And a box of spares, who wants stuff?

DSCF1817.jpg

to be continued.....

Ok, spent a day on the bike today, got the rear loop cleaned up, stripped the origianl seat pan hoping to trim it down then get it sent off for upholstery. after an hour of cutting and grinding , i decided to start from scratch;) never used fibreglass before......

Picture time.......

DSCF1826.jpg

DSCF1828.jpg

DSCF1830.jpg

DSCF1832.jpg

DSCF1837.jpg

DSCF1838.jpg

DSCF1841.jpg

DSCF1843.jpg

DSCF1844.jpg

Arty shot....

DSCF1851.jpg

Front bracket in place;)

DSCF1853.jpg

i should have the re-covered seat back this week, then mock up can start......

To be continued.....

Hello and welcome, always good to see pics of a build. You're right about the UK site being quiet, but hopefully it will grow. I'll try to post something when I get a min to do my bit. This site conversely is as you know very busy, a font of knowledge and all that. Your 'inspiration' bikes look good but with the front end that low I hope you've got smooth roads in your area! Good luck with the build

hey ady66. wherabouts are ya in the uk? smooth roads in london, you must be kidding;) gonna drop it by 3 inch and get hagon to work their magic on some custom length progressive springs for it;)

From one noob to another .. Welcome . I am also in the process of creation . Good luck ))

hey ady66. wherabouts are ya in the uk? smooth roads in london, you must be kidding;) gonna drop it by 3 inch and get hagon to work their magic on some custom length progressive springs for it;)

Hagon are oookay but I have had to give rear shocks back to them under warranty twice due to Londons roads . Pooped the seals clean out the Aprilia on the embankment coated my rear tyre in oil and spun up all the way home bouncing around the road like a kangaroo .

From one noob to another .. Welcome . I am also in the process of creation . Good luck ))

who said i was a noob? watch that language...;) thanks for the welcome btw.

Hagon are oookay but I have had to give rear shocks back to them under warranty twice due to Londons roads . Pooped the seals clean out the Aprilia on the embankment coated my rear tyre in oil and spun up all the way home bouncing around the road like a kangaroo .

i've heard that about there shocks, but ill only be using their springs, which ive heard nothing but good stuff about. anyone else you can recommend for custom length progressive springs?

When I say noob , tis only on this forum .. Bikes aint nothing new but internet nonsense certainly is )))
For springs ,there is an independant best of british men in a shed using victorian equipment spring maker who apparently produces very very good springs . The name goes out my head now when I need it but maybe someone else will know .

They were on telly once .. Whats that programm called with Mike ( the wanker) Brewer And Ed ( the tall guy who drives a sofa) China where they buy a classic ,fit some real nice parts then fanny up the rest with newspaper and pudding then flog it on to some member of the public ? Anyways they got a set of springs made for a Mini I think it was .. Darn my swiss cheese memory .

wheeler dealers;) hahahahahaha!!! nothing wrong with swiss cheese memory mate, its the french cheese memory you wanna avoid;)

I'm in the middle of rural Suffolk, few potholes up here as well. Be interesting to see how your suspension works out, mines past it's best on my roadster so I need to have a play (already tried the cheapskate option of stuffing scrap metal on top of the springs to increase preload!). Was thinking about Hagons for the back end, I assume the problems mentioned are only for the monoshocks; I've never heard the same for the twin shocks??

yeah the monoshocks from what ive been told.try adding a spacer like hughs lowering mod to give a bit more preload. just dont chop the spring;)

Hi from another noob.

Just registerd on the UK site as well.

Looks like you started with a good donor bike, mine just a pile of bits in the garage at the moment (some new and shiny, some new to me but not very shiny and some that will end up as redundant scrap)

Good luck with the build, will watch it with interest.

Less of the noob already!;)

Grab a seat Cornish pixie:)

Got started on the frame today, pictures to follow.

Got loads of bits and pieces done in the last week, mainly dismantling and cleaning stuff up ill be re using; started cleaning up the frame of unwanted tabs, centre stand etc; Got a day off tomorrow, so i plan to get started early and work all day, next update will be a biggie! this is a teaser;)

DSCF1873.jpg

DSCF1872.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

more to come....​

hey pixie, well he charged me 20 to blast and coat, but he said if id brought both it'd have been the about the same price, coz it wouldnt take much longer to do. wanted to try him out first coz ive seen some fucking horrendous powder coating in the past and wanted to see if they were any good;)

Will watch with interest to see if his work is consistent. I've got a shit load of powder coating that needs doing and wouldn't be averse to delivering it to London and picking it up the following week if the guy proves to be reliable in the longer term.

im hopefully doing more bits next week. its a standard ral colour so should be fine consistency wise, we will see;)

ill upload pics as soon as stuff gets done.

Back