"Unplanned Dismantling"

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Elon Musk seems to have a little problem with admitting failure. When his "Starship" exploded a few hours ago, the control tower announced an "Unplanned Dismantling" :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: and at the moment of the explosion, his staff in the control room all erupted into cheers and applause. I wish my parents had been so kind when I brought home D's on my grade school report cards.

1682003488525.png

It pinwheeled prior to 1st stage separation. I suppose Elon can spin that any way he wishes, but a loss of control that results in the destruction of the vehicle can hardly be called a success.
Did they gain valuable data? Lordy I hope so, they threw enough money at it, but let's call it what it is... the unscheduled destruction of the vehicle.
Playing the "lowered expectations" game by claiming anything past the launch tower is a success is just plain silly.
It blew up... that was an "unscheduled event." Success my ass.

It pinwheeled prior to 1st stage separation. I suppose Elon can spin that any way he wishes, but a loss of control that results in the destruction of the vehicle can hardly be called a success.
Did they gain valuable data? Lordy I hope so, they threw enough money at it, but let's call it what it is... the unscheduled destruction of the vehicle.
Playing the "lowered expectations" game by claiming anything past the launch tower is a success is just plain silly.
It blew up... that was an "unscheduled event." Success my ass.
That's my take on it, too.
Anything else is just bullshit.
But what else can we expect from Muskatooton?

WTF? That was uncalled for. You don’t know me!
Seriously, I was referring to the town of Muskatooton, or Muskeville if you like.
Neither of which probably exist, and I sincerely apologise to any inhabitants of said towns if they do, in fact, have a corporeal presence in our multiverse.

You might want to take a look at a history of SpaceX launches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Falcon_9_and_Falcon_Heavy_launches
Don't know about you guys but I'm proud, happy to say I'm rooting for him, his employees, and what SpaceX represents.

You think he should be ashamed? Quit and go home?
It ain't.... oops yes it IS Rocket Science!

On Sunday (April 16), Musk lowered expectations for the upcoming launch, warning in a Twitter discussion that many problems could arise and that he would consider it a success if the launch just didn't "blow up the launchpad."

"Success is not what should be expected," he said ahead of Monday's scrubbed launch. "It may take us a few kicks of the can here before we reach orbit."

Last edited:
You might want to take a look at a history of SpaceX launches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Falcon_9_and_Falcon_Heavy_launches
Don't know about you guys but I'm proud, happy to say I'm rooting for him, his employees, and what SpaceX represents.

You think he should be ashamed? Quit and go home?
It ain't.... oops yes it IS Rocket Science!
Jeeze Gary, just for myself, never said or implied they should hang their head and quit. Yes, what SpaceX has done is impressive... yes I'm rooting for 'em... that mean they're immune from criticism? Off limits?
No, when the plan is to separate the first stage, have it rotate, descend and make a vertical landing (listen to the controllers on the video) and it blows up instead, that's called a fail.
To then call it a success is spin. Again, just speakin' for myself... bullshit, it's a fail.
Apparently, Elon is so thin skinned, he can't call it what it is.
Funny, don't recall NASA ever calling a fail, a win. That's because they weren't run by a thin skinned child genius that's over 50yrs old and still a thin skinned child genius.

Well I have not seen this plan nor do I know much about Musk
But I do know that he seems to be an entrepreneur .Making changes selling things
Making money .. A bit high profiled

These people does not have failure as an option as have Scientists or the Wernher von Braun s of this world.
Wernher had some big Bosses with clear goals I don't believe Der Fuhrer Hitler himself nor President Kennedy
Messed with what he did .
Job description
.Putting a man on the moon and ballistic missiles for long distance Nukes.
.Any problems you come to me Wernher ...Said Kennedy.
We are talking big men .No one can interfere

Some wanted Wernher to face a Firing squad instead of a Job offer. Americans have been practical about that
Not gonna shoot this Top Performer that we need .ourselves Forget about that

But these entrepreneurs not always have the ability to keep hands off Nor can they always attract the right staff and let them do the job.
Or not upsetting the top performers so they Quit Talented people can always find job.

Failure happens it did so for von Braun also .Nothing strange .. Acceptance that it was a failure is the first step to figure out something better ..

Elon perhaps knows that it was a failure ..but if there is a business side of it --he cannot say so. Sponsors Partners Banks
Shareholders
Wernher did not have that problem ..

Nope not calling it a fail. Ain't calling it an unqualified success, but not a fail.
It was a partially successful first launch of a new unprecedented design.
Because the process is design, build the next version is substantially different, and fly or not this one needed to go.

a thin skinned child genius
At least we agree he's a genius.
Are genius' perfect? Nope many go insane, or are borderline insane all along, goes with the territory.
You really think a "thin skinned" guy would have waded into twitter?
Get interviewed and attempt to answer deep unscripted questions?
Space X is an incredible success and there's one man that got it there.
There's comparitively lots of geniuses. Genius' that can manage multiple mega scale, cutting edge businesses simultaneously, that's rare ground indeed.
Rah, Rah Elon.
Only in America? Mebby so.
But one way or another that won't go on forever.

Last edited:
Space X is an incredible success and there's one man that got it there.
I expect there's hundreds of engineers working there that would disagree with that. Is he the driving force? Yup
Did he singlehandedly design and build the turbopumps used? Nope, not even close. Fluid dynamics engineer isn't in his resume. Neither is rocket scientist. Neither is chemist. Neither is structural engineer. Neither is.... well, you get the point. He's a visionary, a rich, thin skinned visionary.

Twitter... his use of twitter as a means to shut down those who disagree with him literally makes my point about the thin skin.... and I'll just leave it there before we really go off the rails.

Musk allows more on Twitter than those that ran it previously. The majority of those "shut down" have left of their own accord.
He certainly is driven and probably pushy, bound to lead to things rushed with the space program

Back