update on the engine strip and a couple of questions for the wise

wymondham1979

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys a little update on the engine strip and a couple of questions for the wise

Thanks to all the great info videos on this site my first tear down was relatively strait forward other than the jug and head appeared to be glued together but the biggest problem was the countersunk bolts holding the advance and points housings ,the impact driver finally loosened them but I'm buying some countersunk allen bolts replacements as they are a bit chewed up

My girlfriend very kindly held the wire supporting the cam chain while I removed the head and barrels she kept tension on the chain but it moved off the tdc mark and rotated a bit AHHHHHHHHHHH the chain thankfully stayed on the crank so my question is
Question 1
Am I right in believing if I have tdc on the rota and the cam mark at 12oclock that is correct? I can't be 180 degrees out?
Question 2
Do the front cam guides wear more than the back ,the front look almost new but had a thin strip of the rubber lose (i pulled it off ) it looked like the part was poorly made as one edge is thicker than the other I'm wondering if that could that be the slight noise for 10 seconds before it gets oil on it
obviously just change it ?

I have possibly some good news "I think LOL "I think found out what the washer was in the sump was after trawling through every post .The tach drive shim washer !!! I pulled it to fit and grease a new cable and I looked and its missing "what a plonker I am"but you live and learn LOL "
Many thanks

Attachments

• DSC00173.jpg
    DSC00173.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC00168.jpg
    DSC00168.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 129
Hi, replace that chain guide, and you are correct on the timming. :thumbsup:
1) Bottom at TDC
2) cam notch straight up
3) There is a second mark on the cam, which has to be parallel to the head surface

xsfanman

Back