Update to Stock Dummy Lights

WTX_XS650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
After riding my project (first attachment) for a few days, I was not happy with the stock gauge cluster dummy lights. I wanted to keep the turn signal and neutral indicators and I wanted some form of indication on the status of the charging system. I also wanted to convert to LEDs to reduce load while keeping the stock housing. After some work, I came up with a solution that I liked (see the second attachment). The top two LEDs are the charge indicators. The left LED comes on when the voltage is above 12V. I selected this value because the TCI should be ok at this voltage for starting. The second LED comes on when the voltage exceeds 13.5V. This will indicate that the system is at an acceptable voltage to charge the battery. I have included a circuit diagram as the third attachment. The middle red indicator is for the turn signals. The two into one connector I built uses two diodes to prevent backfeeding into the opposite side when activated. The bottom green indicator is for neutral. No special wiring on that leg.

I took the bike out for a ride this afternoon. The mod worked great and was visible in direct sunlight. The brightness does wash out some but is still visible. For me, this provided a quick, easy and cheap solution. Happy riding! :bike:

Attachments

• XS650 Final 1.jpg
    XS650 Final 1.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 123
  • XS650 Dummy Light Mod.jpg
    XS650 Dummy Light Mod.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 121
  • Dummy Light Mod Diagram.png
    Dummy Light Mod Diagram.png
    21 KB · Views: 161
LED's are a great way to go for sure. However, 13.5 volts is not proper charging voltage.
14.1 volts is what you want to see for full charging.

Retiredgentlemen - you are correct; 13.5V will not fully charge the battery. The circuit is designed such that it just begins to light the LED at 13.5V (less than 1mA is flowing through the Zener). By 14.1V, the zener is flowing around 6mA and the LED is nearing full brightness. By 14.5V, it is flowing just more than 12mA (max continuous for the LED I used is 16mA). Based on the ride today, the difference is quite noticeable and provides some idea of where the voltage is at with a quick glance based on the brightness.

Back