Updated fork and brake system on 1980 Street Tracker

hogrider

Ridin it like I stole it!
Reaction score
The original post was titled "Inverted Fork Install", which has now come to the nearly final product. After some controversy on whether it is "possible" or "should it be undertaken" and some really great feedback on this project and quite honestly I could have posted more details of this endeavor, It has come down to the final stages of completion, with that being said here are some pics of my "Tracker".:bike:

Attachments

• fender 1.JPG
    fender 1.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 263
Thems some serious brakes there with 9 pistons to stop that beast......Rubber brake lines? Not stainless lines?

Impressive braking ability. Looks like 12 pistons on front calipers and 6 pistons on the rear calipers. I guess you would call that 1 finger braking and squeeze gently with that 1 finger.

Great work, no trouble stopping and like the colour also. I have a couple of questions.
1. Is there an appreciable increase in steering speed/ instability with the sport bike steering stem- fork offset compared to the XS off set.
2. Most sport bike forks I have measured (not upside down though) are shorter than XS forks and combined with smaller wheels must reduce height. How much ground clearance have you ended up with?
The reason I ask is that I am well down a similar path using 17 inch wheels and have a feeling that I may need to rethink due to lack of ground clearance. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Thems some serious brakes there with 9 pistons to stop that beast......Rubber brake lines? Not stainless lines?

I used the stock GSXR lines on the front from the tee to the calipers and a Galfer from the master to the tee. On the rear I used a Galfer line from the master to the caliper.

I have 5 inches of ground clearance currently, this will change when the 14 inch shocks are installed. I think I am going to redo the exhaust and run it directly under the engine, similar to the new Norton, this will decrease my ground clearance but it will increase my lean angle and have the ability to take turns at higher speeds, which is one of the reasons I converted to the new suspension and brakes.:bike:

No worries! You do have a good point. I sometimes get so involved with one aspect of a project only to neglect another, I am fine tuning the install of the upgrades. I will need to manufacture two new headlight brackets to accommodate the increased diameter of the new forks, it all takes time....... and money! I really value your input, thanks for checking out my project.

I also need to give a really "BIG" thanks to Doug at www.REBELGEARS.com for the new sprocket & hub adapter, also Alex at www.yorkmachineworks.com for the wheel spacers, check'em out guys, they do some really great work with a very short turn around time, they have my business from now on!

Last edited:
Now that I have removed the number plates, I don't think I can call this a "STREET TRACKER" any longer, and I know it's not a "CAFE", think I will call it a "SPORTRACKER".:laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Well...... I took this thing out for it's first test ride, what a diffence on the steering, handling and braking, it takes very little squeezing of the front lever to bring this bike to a stop. There is very little dive when applying the brakes, the front and rear suspension are absolutely perfect. The rear brake has a very good feel and not touchy, I had some what anticipated that it would be, given the size of the rotor and caliper.

If anyone is thinking of installing an updated front end on one of these bikes I would highly recommend it!

Think I will have a Beer!:cheers:

Back