Updating the Safety Relay?

Paul75

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is it possible/the done thing to update the safety relay? This is pretty big and ugly, are there any alternative units perhaps?

:popcorn: ....watching for ideas with interest....as I am seeking some extra real estate under my sidecovers for storage of small items like fuses.

Yes, you can use a cheap auto parts store relay.

I got rid of the safety/headlight relay and added a switch so I can turn on my own headlight, but I am using a standard automotive relay for the starter kill portion of what the old one used to do.

I should add: I'm running a PMA and picking up enough voltage out of one of the 3 yellow wires to trigger a standard relay.

I have the solenoid, a fuse panel and one small relay as a starter kill under my right side cover, and that cover is only about 60% of the size it used to be, so plenty of space to pull it off.

I'm actually trying to boot things from that side as well and get it up under the seat, so I can go without a cover on the right side too.

Update...well the other night I cleaned up the safety relay with my Dremel and it came up really nice, I just carefully took a bronze wheel to it. Nice brushed steel now and looking good so no need to update (unless I find it doesn't work of course!)

After I discovered mine was fried I wanted to take it apart so I could use the rubber mounted plate to hold the smaller standard automotive relay. The entire thing was coated in some thick goo that I had to burn off.

Back