Urgent Help With Keys

Uhlaf

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Being the smart man that I am, I have done the kinds of things that would make others question my actions. One of these is buying a vintage motorcycle as my sole mode of transportation. The other would be only having one key for this vintage motorcycle, does anyone know where to find the key code on a 1981 special II? Its not next to the key slot and all I have on the bottom is a faded sticker...tell me its not that.

You should not have any trouble getting another key cut, I have done that with my, '75, '78 & "83. Just go to a locksmith.
Yamimoto

I don't think Yamaha had codes back then
like 1990 and newer has codes.
I would think use the vin number and call a Yamaha dealer could yeld results

Yes gentlemen, but I need the key code first.

Where is it?
How many digits?
Letters and Numbers?
Alternate places on bike to find key?

What am I missing here? Do you just want another key cut? If so, you should not need a code for that. Any experienced locksmith can "look" at a key and and without reference material narrow it down to a few blanks just by memory and then test them for fit. If they slide into the lock cylinder chances are once they are cut they will work fine. Also, most key reference guides that locksmiths use can searched by make, model and year, no code from the key required. Maybe I don't understand what you need?
Yamimoto

I should have made or more clear in the original post. I only had one key and I lost it.

i had taken off the key lock and brought it to a lock smith. 1st key was expensive since he had to test and cut and repeat. Each key after that was cheap. it didnt take to long. Remenber if you get in a pinch, you can always hot wire it. just connect all 3 wires at the keyswitch together (if you still have stock wiring).

Now I get it. Try a locksmith, they can usually pick a lock. When picking a lock the trick is to figure out where the pins are to move the tumblers. Essentially this is done by putting in a few "picks" one at a time that mimic the cut of the key. This is something that is learned by "feel". Once the pattern that rolls over the cylinder is established the locksmith can remove all the picks required at once to see the pattern required on the key blank. As previously mentioned the key blanks are easy to determine. Hope this helps.
Yamimoto

If memory serves and not sure about your specific model you may be able to remove the seat lock cylinder and take it into a locksmith and just leave it with them to figure out.
Yamimoto

If you're going to take a lock in to the locksmith, it will have to be the ignition one. It has more "tumblers" (well, sliding plates actually) than the seat or tank lock. If you had a key made from the tank or seat lock, it would be short a couple notches needed to operate the ignition switch.

Thank you for the corrections 5twins, noted and appreciated, had no idea there was a difference in the locks, makes sense though.
Yamimoto

Thank you for the corrections 5twins, noted and appreciated, had no idea there was a difference in the locks, makes sense though.
Yamimoto

I should have made or more clear in the original post. I only had one key and I lost it.

Hi Uhlaf,
too late for the "get more keys before you need them" rant, eh?
If all else fails, take the ignition apart and take the wards out of the lock so any key will work it.
Pop the tank cap by poking a screwdriver under the front to push the latch backwards
and do the same with it.
Not sure about how your model's seat latch works but, that one too.
Fit a "secret switch" somewhere on the bike for security.

Can I just put a secret switch somewhere so keys become irrelevant in these situations? I called my local pro locksmith, 70$ to pick and cut a new key. Not bad. I was kind of hoping that I would be able to stroll in with a key code but it seems nothing is as straight forwards as it would imply with my bike. I was going to steal my own bike with a quick hotwire job but then I realized that my gas tank is locked and I have all my documentation under my seat which is also locked.

Looks like it's the bus for me for a couple days.
Truly a labour of love.

Damn, I'll have to remember to say thanks to my local locksmith, when I buy bikes without keys or codes, she usually does it overnight for $25 and gives me two keys in the morning.

I wonder why they stopped using codes and then started again. I have Yamaha's from the 60's with 4 digit key codes.

You can buy all three keyed locks as a set with a key from the custom crowd quite cheaply. post up in the classies.

I purchased my 78 sans keys. All it took was recording the four digit code on the lock and ordering a new set of keys for all the locks from a guy on eBay.
$25.

Back