Useful Frame Modification

Scotchmist

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
While my engine sits on the workbench (with a hole in one of the pistons), I'm left with too much time and a remarkably uncluttered frame. Considering the handling on my XS, I'd like to do what I can to improve it. I'm aware of the improvements that can be gained from replacement of the stock bearings, I've also got a fork brace for the front end. My next though was bracing the frame while I've got the opportunity. Are there any meaningful improvments that can be made by adding bracing/gussets to areas of the frame. If so, does anyone have any suggestions or images?

The later XS received extra strength from teh juditious application of more steel. The frame is crude and heavy for strength so my thoughts are that frame set-up (SA bushings and FE tapered bearings), high end shocks about and inch longer, a fork brace, Gold Valves and good wheel alignment are the way to go. I can't say enough about more modern profile 100/90/19 and 110/90/18 tires make to teh over all feel of my old bikes.

So, I've thought the same as you but research has me believing I can't get a benefit from more steel on the frame. If you do want to stiffen the swingarm with a bridgework use light tubing for the brace. The SA brace may help at racing speeds and at least looks cool as heck!

Tom Graham

Do you have any idea what holed the piston - a fast ride after putting around town - advance issues - timing - too lean? Were you using standard octane gas?
I bought a '77 with a hole in the piston that you could put a pen through right in the centre of the crown. OP said he had just taken it out on a freeway and got it up to cruise speed and it let go. (the price compensated for the repair I will have to do)

Do you have any idea what holed the piston - a fast ride after putting around town - advance issues - timing - too lean? Were you using standard octane gas?
I bought a '77 with a hole in the piston that you could put a pen through right in the centre of the crown. OP said he had just taken it out on a freeway and got it up to cruise speed and it let go. (the price compensated for the repair I will have to do)

Lakeview- Good questions.. Wrong thread :shrug:

Back