Van Go

Kinda hard to describe how these seam boxes go together. I'll give it a shot....

First up there's two 3/4" furring strips that go just below the seam. These are to build the frame out so the ply can go over the seam. I ripped the bottom one to a 35° angle to match the underlying van structure. These are fastened with Gorilla glue and 1" deck screws.

1708995151830.png

1708995411870.png

Over the furring strips, ply is fastened. The blocks taped in place are for alignment and spacing.

1708995455715.png

The face of the strips are covered in ply... top and bottom cut to match the angles of the furring strips. Apparently I didn't get a pic of this step. After it's fastened, I laid a board across the van to rest on the two ledges. This is my reference level. Using that board I marked a line on the outer paneling. For something firm and level to fasten to, I poured blobs of bondo down into the corner. I pressed a strip of tape covered wood into the bondo. When that cured, I used a wood chisel to level the top of the blob.

1708995838450.png

1708996068634.png

I cut the top shelf to conform to the (slight) curve of the van, filled the cavity with foam and fastened the shelf. The deck screws go through the wood, foam and fiberglass, and into the solid metal at the edge of the original metal top.

1708996163910.png

1708996293738.png

1708996340152.png

And I'm glad to see that backside of these shelves. Nothing is level or square. Everything is a constantly changing (compound) curve. To be honest, these two boxes were maddening.... jus' glad they're done. :smoke:

Last edited:
Just thought I'd throw this up here. Was searching my computer today for some old VA files and ran across this.... ( warning... rambling ahead :rolleyes: )

I said earlier that my main mission right now is to get Van Go ready (enough) for the solar Eclipse coming up in April. I said that the last one we saw was almost a spiritual event. I was referring to my indian ancestry. My grandmother on my Dad's side was what was referred to in those days as a half breed. She was half Quapaw Indian. Not sure how to figure it, but that makes me 1/8th Quapaw.... maybe... dunno? :umm:

At any rate, I remember watching the sky grow darker (at high noon) and wondered aloud at what my Indian ancestors must have thought.
Indians, for the most part didn't worship a god. They paid homage to "the spirits." The earth spirits, the water spirits.... the Sun Spirit. No doubt they were greatly alarmed at seeing their Sun Spirit disappearing before their very eyes. And for a very brief moment, I felt a connection with my ancestors.

Anyway... found this. A shot I took of the last eclipse just before it reached totality. This isn't black and white. This is a raw, full color image. This is also the only picture I took. For some reason my emotions got the best of me and I completely forgot about my camera until well after it was over... this is all I have.... and that was the impact it had on me.

At any rate, I'm anxious to find that feeling again a little over a month from now.... a connection to my ancestors. Peace guys.

1709167642171.png

Just thought I'd throw this up here. Was searching my computer today for some old VA files and ran across this.... ( warning... rambling ahead :rolleyes: )

I said earlier that my main mission right now is to get Van Go ready (enough) for the solar Eclipse coming up in April. I said that the last one we saw was almost a spiritual event. I was referring to my indian ancestry. My grandmother on my Dad's side was what was referred to in those days as a half breed. She was half Quapaw Indian. Not sure how to figure it, but that makes me 1/8th Quapaw.... maybe... dunno? :umm:

At any rate, I remember watching the sky grow darker (at high noon) and wondered aloud at what my Indian ancestors must have thought.
Indians, for the most part didn't worship a god. They paid homage to "the spirits." The earth spirits, the water spirits.... the Sun Spirit. No doubt they were greatly alarmed at seeing their Sun Spirit disappearing before their very eyes. And for a very brief moment, I felt a connection with my ancestors.

Anyway... found this. A shot I took of the last eclipse just before it reached totality. This isn't black and white. This is a raw, full color image. This is also the only picture I took. For some reason my emotions got the best of me and I completely forgot about my camera until well after it was over... this is all I have.... and that was the impact it had on me.

At any rate, I'm anxious to find that feeling again a little over a month from now.... a connection to my ancestors. Peace guys.

View attachment 262725
Very cool. I had an accountant (before I realized I didn't need an accountant) who had a series of pics on his office walls. Seems he and his partner flew to Baja for the 80/81 (?) eclipse and had 3 Nikon bodies ready to snap into the telephoto (max telephoto) lens clamped to a tripod. They continually shot the eclipse and got great sequential shots.

2017 Solar Eclipse was infact a significant experience in the Central Oregon location.
I alone headed early towards the “100% zone” aboard the F650. Pancakes & Coffee on the flanks of Mt.Hood at the Huckleberry Inn Government Camp, then about 60 miles to my own chosen remote destination on the Warm Springs Reservation. Gravel roads cross country to a vast open area in the high desert. Cascade Mountains (Jefferson, Hood,) to the west. Early arrival and seeing lens reflections in the near distance, I motored over to a small group from Japan and Seattle equipped with filtered lenses.
As the earth began to eclipse the sun the winds changed and swirled. Mostly silence and sounds of excitement took the area. Notable temperature changes were felt as the distant mountains appeared to be in a sunrise light condition. Stars became visible as the Sun was totally eclipsed ! Halo 🤩
But.. perhaps the weirdest thing was infact the “shimmering light” witnessed in amazement on both nearby sage brush as well as on the side of a van. Light seemingly moving or bending in front of my eyes. Can you imagine how ancient men could believe this to be magic? As I even did not understand this possible to witness in person.
The eclipse lasted awhile, actual time meaningles. And the few who were present in that area were emotionally affected with joy !
After, I gathered my thoughts, put on my gear, and started up the F650 and rode out on the remote roads avoiding traffic back over Mt.Hood to Sandy Oregon where I lived then knowing I had just experienced a rare life changing event. And it Was Good!
~RT

Last edited:
2017 Solar Eclipse was infact a significant experience in the Central Oregon location.
I alone headed early towards the “100% zone” aboard the F650. Pancakes & Coffee on the flanks of Mt.Hood at the Huckleberry Inn Government Camp, then about 60 miles to my own chosen remote destination on the Warm Springs Reservation. Gravel roads cross country to a vast open area in the high desert. Cascade Mountains (Jefferson, Hood,) to the west. Early arrival and seeing lens reflections in the near distance, I motored over to a small group from Japan and Seattle equipped with filtered lenses.
As the moon began to eclipse the sun the winds changed and swirled. Mostly silence and sounds of excitement took the area. Notable temperature changes were felt as the distant mountains appeared to be in a sunrise light condition. Stars became visible as the Sun was totally eclipsed ! Halo 🤩
But.. perhaps the weirdest thing was infact the “shimmering light” witnessed in amazement on both nearby sage brush as well as on the side of a van. Light seemingly moving or bending in front of my eyes. Can you imagine how ancient men could believe this to be magic? As I even did not understand this possible to witness in person.
The eclipse lasted awhile, actual time meaningles. And the few who were present in that area were emotionally affected with joy !
After, I gathered my thoughts, put on my gear, and started up the FJ650 and rode out on the remote roads avoiding traffic back over Mt.Hood to Sandy Oregon where I lived then knowing I had just experienced a rare life changing event. And it Was Good!
~RT
Got any pics to share? :geek:

phone camera pics were not representative of the event.
it was a non tech or no phone type of experience. Yes, it did happen in spite of no pics lol.
We all have those “you had to be there” moments which have affected us
🤩👍

In 1999, I travelled south to the southern tip of Devon to witness a total eclipse. Unfortunately, it was cloudy. Well, partly cloudy. You could clearly see as the Moon began to mask the Sun, and as totality approached, it grew darker. Annoyingly, the clouds rolled over and we didn't have a good view. But it became as dark as night, the birds all stopped singing, the many people who had gathered to watch also fell silent.

Apparently, totality lasted 2 minutes and 23 seconds. It was weird looking away towards distant landscape in full daylight. Then the light came back, the birds resumed singing, everybody headed for their cars.

I suppose the clouds would have been a pain in the backside if the main reason for going had been photography. But with the problems of photographing the Sun, I didn't bother. Plenty of photographs available taken by others in different locations anyhow.

But it was a spiritual moment. The sense of awe as darkness and silence fell is what I'll remember of that day.

Oh, and the traffic jams on all roads in and out of Devonshire.

Last edited:
I was about 5-6-7 years old and there was a solar eclipse in our part fo central Canada (near Toronto). Totality was about 3:30 PM - just as all the little squirts were toddling home from school and I remember being a little scared as it grew darker and markedly colder for a short while.

Waaay cool thing to be seeking Jim - all the best on the Van Go project!

Pete

Looking good. Will you run an inverter for 110V or a generator?

It's got a shore connection, plus there'll be a battery bank powered inverter. Eventually I'll add solar to the top to recharge the batteries. Most likely no generator, but I am toying with the idea of a small, quiet Honda.

Back