Velocity stack with filtration

OldskoolXS650

Obsessed XS650 Owner
Reaction score
Alright just for starters I have used the search and find mixed opinion on velocity stacks. I was thinking of using the Steeldragon stacks and making a plug out of green uni filter bulk foam. What do you guys think the foam would be 5/8" thick and filters 65 PPI. Any thoughts?

Posted via Mobile

Alright just for starters I have used the search and find mixed opinion on velocity stacks. I was thinking of using the Steeldragon stacks and making a plug out of green uni filter bulk foam. What do you guys think the foam would be 5/8" thick and filters 65 PPI. Any thoughts?

Posted via Mobile
...................hi you could use a fabric gauze reasonably fine,,, i,ve seen that sort of set on moded bikes without problems being caused regards oldbiker

Most go with something like these.

Rock strainers.

Placing foam over the intake side of the velocity stack will only lead to foam in the engine.

Suction will haul it right in is my best guess.

Then your next thought will be rock strainers and then foam on top with rock strainer holding foam in place and not in the engine.

Wrong.

Not enough surface area leading to rich fuel mixture.

Reason, low air flow.

And you're ruining the very effect the velocity stack was meant to give you.

Velocity stakes where used in racing conditions to get more performance. Racers rebuild engines allot. The English used velocity stacks on there older Norton/BSA/Triumph models. They went out of business. Owners got tired of rebuilding engines.

Attachments

• velocity stack.jpg
    velocity stack.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 96
These CV carbs are very picky about their air flow and how it's delivered. They like it smooth and undisturbed. I don't even know if a velocity stack in any form (filtered or not) would work on a CV carb. But go ahead and try them if you like. You are an experienced carb tuner, right? Then no problem, lol.

Run either Vm34's or Dell pumpers with stacks if you must, if your after hi flow, then run a set of coarse foam unis over them. You would be surprised the amount of crap that gets sucked up, even on the road.

Back