Very disappointed

Splexin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been a longtime MikesXS customer and I've never had a problem with any of my orders.......until now.

I placed an order over the weekend, it was shipped Monday. Delivery date was supposed to be Thursday, but of course then the Hurricane moved in and delayed it. I am leaving for a trip on Monday so became worried I wouldn't received the part in time.

However, much to my glee, they delivered the package today. When I opened it up, I found the other small things I ordered, but as I dug through the pink peanuts....my heart sank and I literally SCREAMED out loud.

Instead of an alternator stator, they sent me a polished aluminum billet!!!!!!!!!! :wtf:
Now, there's a $150 price difference and significant weight difference, so how in the hell does somebody fuck that up?!?!!? Seriously, the stator is even listed on the shipping slip. For crying out loud I didn't order anything even similar to a polished cover!

I can't cancel or reschedule my trip so looks like it's going to be Greyhound. Either way, I'm very angry because I have to shell out even more money because of someone else's muck-up. :banghead: :mad: :mad:

I have emailed Mikes but I'm not expecting miracles since UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday. If I could get the part early Monday then it would be OK but that cuts it very close to when I need to leave.

Not been a good week for me! :doh:

Well, rotors fail all the time, but not so for stators. Why do you think you need a new stator?

It's the original and the wires are literally disintegrating from the heat (the fabric cover has been worn away). It's in pretty bad shape.

I figured while I was replacing rotor I would replace it too. Even if I used the old stator, I can't do anything because one of my brushes was completely obliterated and I don't have any spares. So I would only make it a little ways before my battery went dead.

It's the original and the wires are literally disintegrating from the heat (the fabric cover has been worn away). It's in pretty bad shape.

I figured while I was replacing rotor I would replace it too. Even if I used the old stator, I can't do anything because one of my brushes was completely obliterated and I don't have any spares. So I would only make it a little ways before my battery went dead.

You can help your alternator get rid of excess heat by using some spacers on the alternator cover.

Attachments

• Alt mod2.JPG
    Alt mod2.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 93
not surprising considering that its mikexXS. They could litterally F' up putting a stamp on an envelope. Worst biz I've ever dealt with.

For the brushes you might try a local Yamaha shop if you have one.

Don't have one, unfortunately. Plus with my bike out I have no transportation :laugh:

You can help your alternator get rid of excess heat by using some spacers on the alternator cover.

That's interesting, I'll keep that in mind for later. But doesn't rain get into the alternator? I don't drive in wet weather often but I do occasionally get caught out in it.

Keep a piece of duct tape under the seat to cover it in rain.
Best thing to keep it from overheating is running a good battery.

Don't have one, unfortunately. Plus with my bike out I have no transportation :laugh:

That's interesting, I'll keep that in mind for later. But doesn't rain get into the alternator? I don't drive in wet weather often but I do occasionally get caught out in it.

Everyone always asks that same question. Actually light rain does not get into the alternator. If I know I'm going into a heavy downpour, I stop to put on my raingear. During the stop, I remove the 2 cap screws (I carry allen keys) and close the cover. The spacers are now placed on the outside of the cover, (to allow clearance for the extra long cap screws).

He'd better not try that in Texas, where the dirt is loose blowing grit, and a lot of it. Something in there would be ground up in less than a month.

As for the brushes, you can make them. You'll need some motor brushes from a hardware store which you will sand to the right dimensions and solder to the original screw brackets.

He'd better not try that in Texas, where the dirt is loose blowing grit, and a lot of it. Something in there would be ground up in less than a month.

As for the brushes, you can make them. You'll need some motor brushes from a hardware store which you will sand to the right dimensions and solder to the original screw brackets.

Yeah, we don't allow the gritty type dirt here in Alberta:)

Well, this has been 6 years now with my alternator cover open, and my alternator/charging system runs perfectly. Still using the original stator and rotor.

^I remember it from xsjohn. Better than the mod that drills holes in the front side of it, imo :)

I would think that with all that Texas heat, having the alternator cover open would be a lot more beneficial than here in the frozen north country.

Me too I already intended to do this, and get a second cover and slot it out and put a backing screen on it, just to keep the dirt dobbers out.
Splexin, where in Texas are you?

Hmmm.....a billet with a built-in air filter or screen? Now that would be interesting.

Anyways, I appreciate the recommendations. I don't feel safe using homemade brushes, especially with the stator wiring biting the dust, and this is going to be a 400 mile trip. I would much rather have something that I feel will be reliable.

No word back from Mikes yet so looks like my hopes of getting the part in time for my trip is out the door. I've decided to rent a car rather than deal with the hassle of Greyhound.

@jd750ace Tarrant Co. in DFW area.....I visit Midlothian every few months and Waxahachie too

I would think that with all that Texas heat, having the alternator cover open would be a lot more beneficial than here in the frozen north country.

I don't know that heat has any detrimental effect on anything under the cover. On the other hand, I blew two #17-6803 coils, maybe due to the the heat and long riding without a rest. I did the mod where you turn the horn upside down to let more air to the head, but it might block some air to the coil; hard to tell. I changed it back to normal.

I moved my horn to the left downtube and turned it facing left to allow more air to blow on the engine and under the tank to the coils. I also made plastic pieces that mount to my crash bars that are bent so that they catch air from beside the bike and direct it to the engine.

I'm not sold on opening the alternator up to the elements but I am pondering some sort of filtered opening that would allow air to pass while keeping out water and grit. Some air filter materials used on carbs won't pass water so that might be the place to start. I actually ride more in winter than summer so maybe I need not worry.

I don't know that heat has any detrimental effect on anything under the cover. On the other hand, I blew two #17-6803 coils, maybe due to the the heat and long riding without a rest. I did the mod where you turn the horn upside down to let more air to the head, but it might block some air to the coil; hard to tell. I changed it back to normal.

Heat and vibration are the enemy of all electrical equipment. We can't do much about vibration, but allowing for an air exchange in the alternator will increase the life of it.

I have my ignition coil mounted in front of the engine. I also moved the horn up out of the way so that there is direct airflow onto the coil. Coil runs cool even on long runs.

Usually heat is just not a problem here in Canada, but having said that, we did have an unusally hot summer, with many days around 30 C.

Attachments

• Brembo front mounting.JPG
    Brembo front mounting.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 68
Back