vintage, 4 stroke, >250cc (non XS related)

poorman9

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm getting started on a new project soon. It's a bike for a girl, she likes the idea of having something like a little cafe racer, like this:

thepanman99.jpg

I'm working on compiling a list of bike that are: Four Stroke, Less than 250cc, 1960-1985.

Here's what I have so far:
Honda
CB50
CB90 Super Sport
CB100 Super Sport
CB100N also came as CB100N-A
CB92 also known as Benly Super Sport[2]
CB125S
CB125N
CB125TD Superdream
CB160 Sport
CB175 Super Sport
CB200
CL50
CL70
CL90
CL100
CL125
CL160
CL175
CL200
S90
CM185T
CM200T
CM125
CM 250
TL125
XL70
XL75
XL80
XL100
XL125
XL175
XL185
XL200
XL250

Yamaha
SR250
XT250​

Kawasaki
KZ200​

I can't come up with anything else. If I want a small, vintage four stroke am I pretty much limited to honda's?

Last edited:
Yamaha sr250 exciter...
Displacement: 240.00 ccm (14.64 cubic inches)
Engine type: Single cylinder, four-stroke
Power: 17.00 HP (12.4 kW)) @ 7500 RPM
Top speed: 115.0 km/h (71.5 mph)
Compression: 9.2:1
Bore x stroke: 73.5 x 56.5 mm (2.9 x 2.2 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 2
Fuel control: OHC
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Chain

I wish those bikes could be found around here. It's all Harleys, Harley Clones, cruisers and sport bikes 'round these parts. It's as if standards, cafe racers and small displacement motorcycles never existed.

Alright, I'll add those to my list. She's 5'5", maybe 115, so I'm not sure if a SR250 would be a bit too big...looks like yamaha only made it for a couple years, pretty low chance of finding one anyway.

I know it's newer than you're looking for, but the Suzuki TU250 is a really nice running bike that she might enjoy for many years. Check for MSF auctions in your area, you might get lucky and find one for a decent price with a little rookie rash on it. Nice looking, too IMHO.
Mick

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2807919290.html

Last edited:
Yamaha sr250 exciter...
Displacement: 240.00 ccm (14.64 cubic inches)
Engine type: Single cylinder, four-stroke
Power: 17.00 HP (12.4 kW)) @ 7500 RPM
Top speed: 115.0 km/h (71.5 mph)
Compression: 9.2:1
Bore x stroke: 73.5 x 56.5 mm (2.9 x 2.2 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 2
Fuel control: OHC
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Chain

I had one of these as my first bike. It is very similar in many ways to the xs650 and just as easy to work on. Parts are plentiful new or on ebay, like with the xs. Best as I remember mine was an '82. It should get around 80mpg. Wish I still had mine! It pulls about like an xs, because it's a couple of hundred lbs lighter. Drum front brake is a downer, but typical for small bikes from the era.

I would also consider a Yamaha XT 250 dual purpose bike. We used to have one in the family, first for the ex wife to learn on, then the kids messed around on the farm with it. It took a lot of abuse, but never gave any problems.

The triple trees on this XS have EXACT the same C-C distance as on my -75 RD 350, but the tubes are 35 mm , where the RD 350 has 34. For a test, i made some 0.5 mm shims, and mounted the RD forks, with disc brake front wheel on the XS. This lowered the front, and firmed up the ride considerably, not to mention the improvement in braking...An early RD 400 front end may fit without any bushings/shims, but I can not confirm this 100%.
The XT has a monoshock rear, so that would require a shorter/firmer shock to modify.

It may not be an ideal candidate for a cafe racer, but would make a reaaly nice street tracker. Mule Motorcycles often use DT400 gas tanks on his XS trackers, and the XT already has a similar tank.

Good luck with your build! I realy like vintage light/middleweight custom builds!

^there's a dirt bike that has the same engine as the sr250 but I never can remember the name. Not sure if it's the xt. It has a kick start, whereas the sr has electric. You can retrofit the sr with the kick from the other.

^there's a dirt bike that has the same engine as the sr250 but I never can remember the name. Not sure if it's the xt. It has a kick start, whereas the sr has electric. You can retrofit the sr with the kick from the other.

Yep XT. Bulletproof.

Attachments

• xt250kompl.jpg
    xt250kompl.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 233
^There's a motorcycle mechanic I have the utmost respect for and one time he was talking about watching a hill climb and new expensive bikes were falling all over the place and some guy on an old XT250 just went right over :)

I wish those bikes could be found around here. It's all Harleys, Harley Clones, cruisers and sport bikes 'round these parts. It's as if standards, cafe racers and small displacement motorcycles never existed.
Sorry that this is too late to do you any good, but there was something like you were looking for for sale on this forum just a couple of days ago, just a couple hours ride away from you:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15907&highlight=honda+cm200t

4,000 miles, fairly cherry, $400. I'm having it shipped to me in Austin. Austin is a college town with a vibrant downtown but no place to park a car, and there is a tremendous demand for little vintage student starter bikes like it here.

Sorry that this is too late to do you any good, but there was something like you were looking for for sale on this forum just a couple of days ago, just a couple hours ride away from you:

4,000 miles, fairly cherry, $400. I'm having it shipped to me in Austin. Austin is a college town with a vibrant downtown but no place to park a car, and there is a tremendous demand for little vintage student starter bikes like it here.

Closer to 5 hours but thanks anyway. I'm not really looking to buy right now-- unemployed-- but in the future...

Cleveland Cycle Werks builds brand new 250cc Cafe Racers called "Tha Misfit" and might be something you want to look into... Great Company and Excellent Customer Support...

tha%20misfit%20with%20seat%20cover%20web.jpg

More Bike Pics : http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/bikes/tha-misfit-by-cleveland-cyclewerks/

Bike Info : http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/misfit-details/

I hope that helps :)

Yep, the Chinese Invasion is on its way. Quality control is improving and they're doing the exact same thing that Honda did in the 1960s-- creating an entirely new market made up of people who wouldn't consider or aren't ready for larger bikes. It's a proven marketing strategy that works every time and smart business. Me, I'm just waiting for the Chinese made, fuel injected XS650 clones so I can snag a bolt-on FI system for my XS.

I know it's newer than you're looking for, but the Suzuki TU250 is a really nice running bike that she might enjoy for many years.

Yeah I would like to stay with something older, just for the price. Ideally I can find something less than $1000 that needs some work, I don't mind rebuilding an engine, actually I'd enjoy it :D

XT250, good call! Added to the list.

Damn man, you got a sweet deal! Also adding the CM series.

Looks like there's plenty of bikes to watch craigslist for.

Last edited:
Hey I know it's a little bigger than you wanted but there is a 1975 cb360 on the Medford Craigslist, just saw it this morning, looks like its in rogue river but that's right by Medford where I live... No email address but here is the guys phone number 541-324-8915, if it's something you might be interested in I could probably cruise over there and check it out before you drive 4 hours if you want. Let me know man, good luck. Oh ya, he is askin 1500 but maybe you could talk him down, seems like a little much for a cb360

Last edited:
Hey thanks man. We went and checked out a few bikes today. Saw a 1980 SR250 that was in great shape for $800. Also there's a sweet little s90 that I think we're gonna look at tomorrow. Even the 250cc was pushing it a bit in terms of size, so yeah I think the 360 would be a bit much.

Thanks again

A freind of mine just sold a nice S90 for 500$, it felt too slow to be practical IMHO, but it was alot better than I expected. Also, Kawasaki makes a 125 Eliminator you might want to check out.
Mick

Attachments

• Kawasaki-Eliminator-125-2001-3.jpg
    Kawasaki-Eliminator-125-2001-3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 221
Alright guys, just to wrap this up we ended up finding a bike! I found a 71 CL175 on craigslist, drove out there and the guy had a 1973 SL175 as well. I bought them both for $550. The SL is definitely a parts bike, no title for it anyway. The CL it gonna need some work to get running, but nothing I can't handle.

aa273f9c5eac11e19896123138142014_7.jpg

Back