vintage supermoto style

alexml

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would share my latest build. Its a '79 with 17" wheels, ally swingarm, brembo rear brake, floating front disc, sticky rubber, DIY PMA using a CBR600 f stator with a RD 400 backing plate and rotor, kick only, no battery. Nice healthy motor with Omar half mile pipes and individual filters, dyno'd at 44 bhp @ 4000 rpm and 36 ft-lbs.

All I need now is for someone to explain how to post some pictures! Cant seem to work it out. :doh:

frame and wheel 1.jpg

front end 2.jpg

front wheel 1.jpg

rear brake 1.jpg

PMA 2 2.jpg

PMA 3.jpg

I found out how to add them :doh: (again) I will try to take some more as I progress. Just starting to shape the foam for the seat. it is quite a dense grey foam, which sticks to the fiberglass seat pan. Anyone shaped it successfully? Would like to try and get a nice neat beveled edge, thought fine wet n dry may do it, or fine sandpaper.

View attachment 61003
I found out how to add them :doh: (again) I will try to take some more as I progress. Just starting to shape the foam for the seat. it is quite a dense grey foam, which sticks to the fiberglass seat pan. Anyone shaped it successfully? Would like to try and get a nice neat beveled edge, thought fine wet n dry may do it, or fine sandpaper.

Hi alex,
this seat? Seems like it's finished already.
About shaping seat foam; abrasive paper won't work, use an electric knife to cut the chunks off and finish with a power sanding disk.
Wear a good breathing mask, the sanding dust from foam works on your lungs like microscopic razor blades.

Hi, its another seat base. I am putting a dense "track day" style foam pad on it. wasnt sure how to bevel the edges or cut it. Its almost like the green oasis foam for flower arranging, but not crumbly.

Hi, I shaped the foam on my seat using a flap disk on an angle grinder. Take your time the foam disappears quick and makes a mess but you can make nice smooth curves

Back