VM 38mm Slide Mikuni

SGTSkeletore

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I went to a single 38mm mikuni slide carb, need some help jetting. Anyone have experience with this setup and know what sizes to begin at? 75'xs650

There's a recent thread on jetting for VM38's by gggGary. Look for it;

Using a single carburetor won't alter jetting requirements much, but you're gonna be fighting the double whammy of a big venturi and overlength intake runners. A 38 mm. carb with a throttle shaft and plate in the spigot is effectively smaller than a 38 mm. carb with an unrestricted venturi.

I had the 750 kitted, shell cammed minimal baffled megaphone muffler bike running "pretty good" with the VM38's a time or two. They were set up with jetting generally considered to be non functional.

The carbs were probably off some snowmobile, have slides with a very small cutaway.

the 38s on the bike
body 38 N9
N 6DP-1 3rd slot
NJ P8 166
MJ260
PJ 25
Slide 1.5
Float valve 3.3

The 260 seemed rather rich but I have been fighting several issues with this bike and cannot claim a successful set up yet.
Here's the thread, probably worth reading. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28326

I even removed the 38's and bolted on a brand new set of MM VM34s but ended up with it running about the same, fine till about 4K then not so good. Currently getting a Pamco with e-advance and an Accel coil. Mufflers are now drilled out emgo's which have about the right amount of noise for my taste on a "hotrod" type bike.

Back