VM34 kit

AJT

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looked around the search, found most of what I was looking for. but I've got an 83 XS650, this thing is beat nearly to death! carbs are all good save an air mixture screw on the LHS carb is completely frozen inside of the threads. Machinists have not done me any favors. Considered putting a helicoil in there, but am opting more for a new set. I am military and deploying very soon and would really like to see this thing run before I leave. question is: the VM34 swap on these bikes, is it worth it? I am planning on running pods with near stock exhaust. (I want to run dual side pipes with muffler.) Thanks

Hi AJT, first and foremost from an old vet thank you for your service, That screw should be brass and easily drilled out unless you're saying someone already tried and boogered the threads? If not I'm thinking you should be able to get most of it out and chase the threads to get a new one in. Maybe some of the resident experts on here can give a better suggestion or if you have to go a size up they have the specs.

I have a left side BS34 carb body. You'd need to clean it up and install your own jets, etc., but the mix screw and its threads are in good shape. Free to good home, send me a PM with address if you want it.

Re. VM carbs, there's no simple answer to your question. I've always found them easy to work with, and most guys have a fairly easy time of it once they get it through their heads that they need to start with a viable baseline and eliminate electrical and engine issues before trying to tune. But I've also seen the odd pair that's made experienced hands tear their hair out.

WOW! Thank you so much! I can help with shipping if you wish? I am deploying here at the be of this month, so I won't be here when it gets here, but that's okay. Here's my address:
Andrew Theis
247 spring chase Cir
Kathleen, GA 31047

Carb is in the mail, you should have it by Monday.

The throttle shaft is good, no slop detectable, but seals may need replacement; you'll need to get the motor running to find out. Since the diaphragm checked out good I included the slide and needle in case you have a bad one.

These carbs were black on some models and unpainted on others; this one is unpainted. If you need a black finish, I've seen a nice job done with Rustoleum black applied with a small brush. The rattle can stuff would be much less resistant to fuel spills and vapors.

Good luck, hope the refurbishing goes well!

Last edited:
Back