Voltage Regulator or simple wiring fix???

Pennies Earned

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been enjoying quite a few bike rides lately until I noticed that my tail light wasn't illuminated one night. The brake light works fine however. I took out the bulb and it looked fine but I replaced it anyhow, but that still didn't solve the issue. While riding during the day I quickly noticed a drain on the power supply, all the way down to where the bike wasn't operational. I hiked my bike home and parked it. Now 2 days later I go to get my battery charger, decide first to see if it had juice just for fun, and sure enough it did and started right up. As soon as I pulled the brake lever a few times though she was dead once again. My voltage regulator has always looked suspect and not sure if that would cause any concern or if its a simple short in my wiring. My battery charger gauge is also suspect but the charger itself works just fine. According to my gauge right now its at about 6v. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Its finally getting into the upper 60's almost 70's range here.

I think you should look at all the wiring and connectors that feed the rear light..............especially the brake light. It may be a bare wire partially shorting to ground.

I highly recommend you replace the tail/brake light with an LED light. It would reduce load on the alternator and they never burn out. DOT approved LED's are readily available (meant for trucks and trailers).

If you still have the old original (relay type) regulator....................its time to get rid of it. Replace it with an automotive solid state regulator (inexpensive, cars from the 70's).

Yep sure enough I tracked it down and one of the connectors was loose inside my headlight bucket. All fixed and enjoying the weather. Thanks for the info on the regulator. I'll pick one up this week :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info retiredgentleman. I will head to the junkyard tomorrow to hopefully score a new voltage regulator. Since fixing my taillight issue my power drain issue still exists. Would that be a symptom of needing a voltage regulator (like I said mine looks very old and worn), or possibly in need of a new stator? My battery stays charged for at least 2-3 rides to the supermarket and back with side ventures added in as well. Another area that I'm uncertain about is the battery itself. The battery is a fairly new AGM battery that was ran completely dead once, tricked back into charging, and good to go. These past few rides that have drained my battery down enough to kill the bike leaves enough volts to put it on the standard charger and fully charge it. Would that one time draining an AGM battery possibly warrant the battery defective?

You haven't said if you have checked your brushes. 1st stop on the charging trail.

Well I got on my wagon and got on the charging trail. I swear when I'm finished with this thing I will have touched every singly piece on this bike. Is this normal gggGary :D

brush.jpg

Well me bucko I believe you have found the dastardly dude that's been rustling your electrons. No doubt a ham handed PO has been there before you. Now cross your fingers that it's the only issue and not something the PO fuggled while trying to find a different problem. As long as you are there you might as well check the rotor ohms (5.1 is about right).

Well I ordered some new brushes and they should be here in a few days. I'll check the rotor ohms soon. How do you know the PO was here before me? I'm just wondering because I've found a few things to be suspect so far. Actually the only good thing the PO ever did was powdercoat the frame.

Well you showed the brush and most guys bury their mistakes not show em off.....
And you didn't check them till I asked, your problems intermittent nature made brushes a pretty good suspect, most of the other parts generally work or don't work instead of sometimes working. I was surprised that the wire was broke, even with the oddball flip of the end plate to install them that's the first broken wire I've seen.

Back