Walked out of the shop to find my bike on its side....

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
A buddy of mine needed new tires on his bike, so we rode out to the shop. We got off the bikes, walk inside and they got to work. We were there for probably an hour when suddenly a guy comes running in yelling "whoever's yamaha that is out there its on its side!!!" As soon as he said it I knew it was mine and I knew exactly what had happened. Walk outside and sure enough there it is, laying on the pavement, kickstand had sunk through and down she went. Luckily I got away with nothing more than a bent set of bars and the actual mount that goes through the triple tree.

I'm not sure what that mount is actually called but its the piece that clamps the bars down.

Anyway I got a couple free kickstand things from them so I guess that's good...Just glad it was the rider and not my build bike.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

My bike doesn't get garage space overnight unfortunately, so I park it on the side, in the dirt. I am always concerned that this is going to happen. Granted at the moment it is nothing to serious its still in the rough stage. Once I get new pipes and a paint job then I will be more concerned.

Glad to hear she's ok though.

Simple, under the kickstand, put a: board,crushed pop can, metal plate, big flat rock,a old shoe,your buddys hand, your wife's??, the list is endless

A buddy of mine needed new tires on his bike, so we rode out to the shop. We got off the bikes, walk inside and they got to work. We were there for probably an hour when suddenly a guy comes running in yelling "whoever's yamaha that is out there its on its side!!!" As soon as he said it I knew it was mine and I knew exactly what had happened. Walk outside and sure enough there it is, laying on the pavement, kickstand had sunk through and down she went. Luckily I got away with nothing more than a bent set of bars and the actual mount that goes through the triple tree.

I'm not sure what that mount is actually called but its the piece that clamps the bars down.

Anyway I got a couple free kickstand things from them so I guess that's good...Just glad it was the rider and not my build bike.

my HAYNES calls it a Handlebar clamp (two pieces upper and lower)

Simple, under the kickstand, put a: board,crushed pop can, metal plate, big flat rock,a old shoe,your buddys hand, your wife's??, the list is endless

I could always just lean it into the garage as well. As unlevel as the ground is there i tried something and it sat up to straight although I haven't had anything super thing. I ended up putting the main stand down last night, because I knew it was supposed to rain and I didn't want it to get washed out.

I could always just lean it into the garage as well. As unlevel as the ground is there i tried something and it sat up to straight although I haven't had anything super thing. I ended up putting the main stand down last night, because I knew it was supposed to rain and I didn't want it to get washed out.

Thought of setting the board, (whatever), into the ground so the bike leans :shrug:

Sucks man, I had a fear of the same thing happening to my crotch rocket when I parked it in the gravel at home. I know this may not be feasible everywhere (like your local shop) but what I did was dug out a small hole and sunk an extra driveway paver into the gravel. Pull up and let the kickstand rest on that. The only tricky part is hitting your mark when youre pulling up! It gets easier over time.

Yeah the shop had some kick stand things designed specifically for this so they gave me a bunch of em. It was a sport bike shop but I was surprised at how helpful they were in helping me inspect the bike and make sure it wasn't leaking or making any strange sounds. When I came out to the bike there were two guys already picking it up for me and the secretary was the one who noticed it had fallen and alerted them. All in all it said a lot more about the character and mentality of that shop as a whole than the work they did on my buddies bike ha

I've never had a problem with my kickstand sinking into asphalt until this heat wave hit our area. My kickstand punched a hole right through my driveway, luckily I caught it in time but it would have tipped over for sure if I hadn't. So in addition to the scrape marks, oil and rust stains, I know have a swell hole in my driveway.

Did you offer to pay them for wrecking their parking lot?
Yeah it happens a lot. Too bad people have gotten so anal about litter. There used to be empty pop cans everywhere.....

Here is how I fixed mine:

554726_10151038045740406_1352850679_n.jpg

Do you think it's big enough to not sink?

I'm not sure what bike you have, but I believe this is the part you bent. It isn't cheap.

YP-1E6-23442-00-00=3cc0c35a.gif

It's #15 in the breakdown. Power Sports Plus

You should be able to get a used one from a XS anything, except 1100.

Back