was it worth 100$ ?

howry

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey all,
bought rear 200mm rim and axle, and front rim.
was wondering what ya guys think? was it worth 100$?

Attachments

• DSC03829.jpg
    DSC03829.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC03828.jpg
    DSC03828.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 279
You won't know till you get them on a truing stand and see if they are bent. That front doesn't look good (very fuzzy picture) It took me three tries to get a straight front wheel for a 1000 Hurricane.

well first off, there is a guy in winnipeg that got bunch of stuff, thats what he told me. he got some braided brake system from bike for 80$. and the rims are totally straight. the front one got bit of dent, ya can barely notice ( but thats why ive put it that way, so ppl will know its not perfect) oh and the rear aperantly is 180mm and not 200mm. but wider then xs650 rim. and carbon, yeah thats true, if it wont work i will. but damn the axle is long lol (will try to take a pic and show next time ill be working on it)

OK I am doing this as a bit of a educational experience for me and you??? A dented rim is not straight. Kudos for showing the dent. Is it safe to run a dented "mag"? Minor data point as mentioned I ended up with several dented front mags. I have always wondered myself how "damaged" is a bent wheel? So in the interest of science I got out the proper tool (10 pound sledge hammer) And beat the fruk out of that wheel. I wore my self out. Really I flogged that wheel for a good 15 minutes chasing it around the yard with full on slugs from that BFH. Finally, it was a mangled mess But it never broke or cracked till it was nearly unrecognizable as a wheel. Now that's one wheel and not scientific in the least. ANd Iam not advocating buying and using bent wheels. But a dented rim with no evidence of cracks is most likely not a disaster waiting to bite you either.
OK the other "issue" I see is a chain on the wide rear. Do you understand how involved it is to run a really wide rear? You might get by with a welded offset sprocket and a spacer on the LH cover but for really wide a jackshaft would be needed. You are looking at a custom swing arm or are you hardtailing? From your comments I am guessing you are north of the border? And location really makes a difference as to parts availability and pricing around here sport bike mags are dime a dozen in other areas they might be hard to come by. But anywhere you are, used crotch rocket parts are inherently suspect. The very nature of those bikes is squids and crashing, and with "stunting" being so popular really, really thrashed is common. There is little in this world more "used up" than a stunt bike.
So enough of my rant mode. If you don't mind my asking, what are your plans for this stuff (your bike)?

gggGary, tnx for the reply. quikly will expalin. i know that with the fat tire i need offset from some sort, true. and not a swing arm but hard tail. and there is no craks, no huge scratches, nor bents some place else - just this small one (if ya can call it small). i dont want it to be fast nor to accelerate fast. as long as it running, and reach 80km/h im soo fine with it. and about the parts, i tried junkyards, but few of em closd up.i would be soo happy to buy it for dirt cheap, but dunno where it would be possible. so shortly the plan is, hard tail, new rims, new tires, new paint, rebuilt motor(after ill finish with the frame and such). basically not alot but takes lot time, spec when i dont have time.

The rear wheel looks to be from about a 2002 GSXR750, the front doesn't look to be from the same model as the spokes seem to be a little curved and off center from the hub, and the GSXR had straight spokes that were centered to the hub. If the rear wheel is a 2002ish GSXR750 wheel, those go for $150-$200 with the cush and rotor. So I'd say you got a very good deal.

If you need a Offset Sprocket to fit that tire I am the guy that makes them...

http://xs650widetire.webs.com/

I can sell you just the sprocket or I can sell you a entire kit to run a 200mm tire on your XS650

$150.00 Sprocket Only

$375.00 Offset Kit

Thanks

Gary Poh

Absolutly,

If you go to my website I believe there a bike with my kit on it that has a GSXR wheel on it, its a hardtail but the demention for a wider swingarm would be similar (FYI i have had customer that have used GSXR wheels in Swingarm bikes...however I dont have any pics)

[/ATTACH]

I think this is how you post pics...

Attachments

• SUC52705.jpg
    SUC52705.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 195
  • SUC52704.jpg
    SUC52704.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 54
If you run a sprocket only (without the kit) you will need to modify your side cover to get the sprocket to fit under it (with my kit you do not need to modify it)(the kit is almost a bolt on type of thing..almost)

I have sold many sprocket onlys to customer that are good at modification and have accsess to the proper tooling, if you you dont then I recomend the kit

Gary

I can send you more info one what is involved if you like

Email me here at xs650widetirekit@yahoo.com

Ignore my comments about the swingarm, I was confusing your project with another, if your running a hardtail, then the bike in the above pics IS VERY comparible

btw the bike in the above pic was a sprocket only customer (he did his owm mods to the side cover and added a hydrolic clutch...very cool)

Back