Wearable airbags - anyone tried one yet?

I am also on the ST Owners web forum and there’s is a lively chat going on over there, largely along the lines of this one.
Ya, but are they as much fun as we stubborn ol XS riders ? We are just giving you, MaxPete ornery trouble because we know you can take it.
Many of us at one time or another could have benefitted from crashing with better protective gear ;)
XmV-nc.gif

Hehehe....well, they are, in general, just as knowledgeable about motorcycles as folks here and just as keen about their bikes.

I guess I would have to say that the ST Owners group is, however, somewhat more serious on the whole and, if I may, much more visibly religious (note the word between “more” and “religious”). It is almost entirely male and is comprised of a similar age mix (average likely in the 50-60s) and has a similar mix of people from Europe, Oceana, the US and Canada - and the group is also kind, generous and friendly.

....and they like to tease as well....:D

Last edited:
The literature says the most professional racers (maybe all?) wear airbag vests/jackets as do many police forces globally. The articles I attached above describe this.

Further to the question of airbags for racers.....here is an article I clipped f of the ST Owners website.

Airbags: compulsory from 2018
New regulations designed to increase rider safety set to come into force for the new season
Tags MotoGP, 2018
From 2018, it will be compulsory across all classes within the FIM MotoGP™ World Championship for riders’ race suits to be fitted with airbag systems. These must be worn in every session by every permanent rider, and must be functional when on track. Wildcard riders are the only exceptions, and replacement riders are exempt from the rule for their first two events only. Thereafter, replacement riders’ suits are subject to the same requirements and specifications as those of permanent entrants.

The airbag should cover and protect at least the shoulders and the collarbone. Full or central back protection is optional. However, if a manufacturer chooses to have back protection, it must cover the whole spine. Small variations according to the specifics of each system are allowed, as are variations to accommodate the different morphology of each rider, but the same key areas and guidelines are in place for every manufacturer.

Each airbag system must pass a series of tests to prove it fully complies with the regulations. Requirements range from the battery and electronics to deployment and inflation times, with accidental deployment also an important factor. An accidental deployment of the airbag must not risk causing a rider to crash or impede a rider from controlling their motorcycle. In addition, airbag systems must not require any parts to be added to the motorcycle, and must be triggered without the rider being tethered to the bike.

Each manufacturer must self-certify on the official documentation for the suit that their system fully complies with the regulations and reaches these standards. They must also declare the reliability of their system based on internal testing.

These regulations mark yet another step towards increased rider safety, with the FIM, IRTA and Dorna all committed to making sure MotoGP™ is as safe as possible - and always evolving.

For me, here in the desert Southwest, heat is the biggest problem when wearing protective gear. In the winter months you can wear pretty much anything. But eight months out of the year, ITS HOT, and my gear has to flow air. The three things I won’t compromise on are full face helmet, jacket with or without armor, and quality armored boots.
My best jacket is winter only wear because it’s too hot otherwise. I switch to a mesh jacket and give up some protection.
I once decided that I needed riding pants, with tough abrasion resistant cordura nylon exterior and knee armor.
I read recommendations and bought a pair, they were expensive! When I got them they were so heavy, inflexible, and hot, I never wore them , not once! They took up room in a cabinet until I finally threw them out.
I have no doubt that inflatable vest could and would provide another layer of protection, but I probably wouldn’t wear it.
For me , it’s protect your noggin, wear gear that will keep your skin on in the event you go sliding, and protect your hands and feet. And when you’re riding , just assume nobody sees you and position yourself in traffic accordingly.
I assume that everyone in a left turn lane WILL cross in front of me and everyone waiting to pull out of a parking lot WILL pull out in front of me. Try to stay out of peoples blind spot, don’t ride beside a car whenever possible. And on and on.
It’s also why I seek out backroads and small two lane country roads for pleasure riding.
As for anyone else, I say if you want it, can afford it and would feel better having one , by all means get the vest.
Ride your own ride!
Theres no magic formula and you can be doing everything right but its still out of your control.... nothing is guaranteed...DAMHIK...

Back