Weldless Hardtail conversion

Dave Walters

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was looking at ways to get the feel of a hardtail with out a weld on kit.

Inspiration from this bike: http://www.xs650chopper.com/2011/04/my-2011-tcu-bbo-xs/

I decided to flip over my swing arm and fab some struts to go from the rear stand to the shock mounts now on the bottom.

It would be a bolt on strut system with the stress on the struts being pulled on instead of being compressed.

I would chop my frame to here:
framestandard-1.jpg

Anyone think that this could work?

I wouldn't do it without welding or somehow bracing the top of the plates the swinarm bolts to (ugly plates). Think about what is holding that whole rear section when the top is unsupported.

The only thing good about that was the chick. But she wont give a fuck about you when your balls get ripped off on the first pot hole going 30 mph.

The skinnier the better and my other requirement ....that her thighs dont touch! That way you have less of a chance of her turning in to a fat pig when she gets a ring on it

Not so good looking method! But im into those traditional hardtails:) (by traditional i dont mean those f...n tc bros things)

Old Farmer Joke: IF it needed to be wired it was tied with baler twine, if it needed to be bolted on it was wired on, and if needed it needed to be welded it was then bolted on... and when all else failed, it was cobbled with enough JB weld to drowned a baby in.

Joking aside,I would be scared of sheering bolts or a weakness in the eyelets, now granted i do farm work for a living and i mickey mouse/jimmy rig plenty of ridiculous things together on a whim during harvest to get me threw the day... Regardless I would make damn sure to use the highest grade bolts i could find. I would also be concerned with the play that would develop over time and miles.

To be honest though sure seems like a good amount of work making sure you did it right to get it bolted together correctly then just putting a MIG to it and eliminating all those issues & concerns.

The design is an open triangle...

That back end is gonna tweak on ya when you hit a gnarly bump, or it will slowly start to degrade into one giant catastrophic failure.

If you want the feel of a hardtail without the weld on kit, got to the YMCA and drop the soap!:yikes:
Skinny woman, ugly bike. Both uninspiring to me,:confused: but on the subject of your proposed design, I'm going with Blackbetty. That thing will eventually fold.

Think of the rear section as a triangle that is supported only by the lower left corner. I wouldn't run it.

A "piece of crap" (POC). Don't do it!!!

I'm surprised that not one of the custom fabricators has offered simple bolt on strut bars to replace the shocks. This makes for a much lower bike than shocks because there isn't any bounce in the strut so it can be as low as a compressed shock. Hard tail too!

Tom

I might either go with a brat style bike or I might just fab a normal hard tail kit for myself.

I gave up on this idea. It just doesn't seem structurally sound

Are those struts for an XS? They look like they will work but they could be for a Harley and might need slight changes. I know struts can be found but I'd like to see them promoted by the XS builders/fabricators. Does Hugh or TC Bros offer them? Why not?

Using the picture and an old XS shock for a pattern, anybody should be able to design and fab their own struts.

I ran struts on my drag Super Hawk back in the late 60's.

Tom

Back