What are these for?

Had some time today to take a look and asses some things.
I jumped the wires on the reserve lighting unit.
I jumped the wires on the safety relay.
Confirmed that the double relay is still there.

Where I left it:
-rear lights still not wired. There are 3 wiress coming from the aftermarket light. Red, blue, black. Connected them to the orphan wires. Nothing. I tested the light with key turned as well as fully starting the bike. Nothing. Do I have to start the bike everytime to see if light works or will it go in with just key?
-left rear signal does not blink. The front leftblinker does nothing. The front blinker looks to have broken off. I am wondering if the wires in the headlight assembly came undone. For some reason I am not feeling the rear signals are wired right. The right rear has a red and 2 blacks (1 solid 1 striped) coming from it. The left has a green wire.
-My starter. So the button has disappeared but the spring is still intact. I pushed it in with a screwdriver and the beast almost came to life. I say almost because previously the button did absolutely nothing. It doesn't sound good though. When pressing it, there is a loud clicking coming from underneath. Sounds like something is not engaging. My electric starter isn't a priority now (I don't mind Kickstart) but will be something I will want to look at.

Right now I am going to search site for electrical diagrams to figure out my lights. With the units and relays removed, and the jumping already done, I want to find the colors of wires that correctly connect to the signals and rear light.

Stock turn signals have only one wire coming out of them, a power wire. They get grounded through their staulk and mount. There is a ground wire with an eye on the end trapped under the turn signal mounting nut. If your aftermarket signals have 3 wires then they probably are dual filament with a running light in there along with the turn signal. Two of the wires would be power for each of the two filaments, the third wire would be a ground. Stock turn signal power wires coming out of the harness are a dark green for the right signal, dark brown or what they call "chocolate" for the left signal. You may need to clean the wires to discern their color. When they're dirty, they all look black, lol. That may be the issue with your signals that don't work. The wrong color wire may be connected to them.

Get and study an '81 wiring diagram. That will save you asking lots of questions.

Back