What are your thoughts about...

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I've decided to go cafe with my bike. I currently have ace clubman bars flipped upside down. I flipped them cafe style but the angle is a little tweaky on my wrists. What are some good alternatives?

Also, I want to remove my front fender but need to know if I need to have any sort of fork brace attached or will the tree be sufficient?

I also have my stock rear fender with a cateye tail light. Should I go with the license plate and tail light mounted on the lower left side shock and go with mini signals?

I'm just reaching out here for ideas. My brother specializes in seat work so he is going to take a spare seat of mine and make a cafe bubble seat out of it.

Any suggestions would be great. I attached a couple recent shots of my bike.

Attachments

• 2012-03-31_13-49-15_485.jpg
    2012-03-31_13-49-15_485.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 184
  • 2012-03-31_13-48-42_967.jpg
    2012-03-31_13-48-42_967.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 2012-03-31_13-48-32_134.jpg
    2012-03-31_13-48-32_134.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 205
Cafe's good if you're the right side of fifty - and there's only one side that is. If the clubman bars are too uncomfortable, clips-ons will be more so. I have flat bars on my R60/5 beemer and drag bars on my TX650A; they're a fine compomise, giving you a slight lean, without too much weight on your wrists. The Beemer bars - european market with a slight rise - are very good, I may get a set for the TX but they'll need holes drilled for the captive wiring. They may be worth a look...

Posted via Mobile

I've been thinking about the euro bars. I'll start looking at some pics. I removed the front fender and put a few miles on her this evening. I didn't notice any difference in handling. Are there safety issues running without a fender? If so, I'm putting it back on right away.

Check your local Beemer dealer...even down under, they can get stuff from the national distributor overnight. BMW maintains excellent stocks of old parts.There's a pic of my TX on the 'Let's see the XS's' thread (#1589) and you'll see the drag bars have a slight drop - the BMW's euro bars are six inches narrower than the drag bars and and rise about two and a half inches above the fork crown. You may have to re-route your front brake line to clear the headlight mounts - mine's pretty close on the TX.

Posted via Mobile

Page 80, lol. I checked it out. I'll look into these. I rode again for a bit last night and my wrists were getting sore again. The clubmans are really comfortable when turned upside down.

I have upside down clubmans on mine (they are a bit shorter than yours), and I love them, AND I'm 59 years old! Clip-ons are too low, hard on the back and wrists. Many of the other bars are too wide for my taste. You just have to settle on what's the most comfortable for you.

Attachments

• XS_2-2011g.jpg
    XS_2-2011g.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 137
I adjusted my clubmans several times and found an angle that I can live with. Plus,the more I ride, the better it gets. At first I thought I wouldn't leave the bars in a cafe position very long. Now I think they will stay.

I really like mine. The riding position with the pegs back and up a little (not as much as typical aftermarket sets, I made my own mounts for an R1 set) is really comfortable. the only complaint I have is the frequency of the vibrations in my bars causes my throttle hand to get numb sometimes. I think I'm going to try some weighted bar ends and see if it helps. Good riding,

DLD1

Back