What are your thoughts on fork braces?

Crab_Cake

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Like the ones Mikesxs or 650 central sells?

27-1070.jpg

I eventually try a fork brace on just about every bike I get. On some they help, on others not so much. It really helped on my 650. The type Mike sells will work fine if it is a perfect fit - it can't be too tight or loose fitting between the fork legs or it can cause binding. If it doesn't fit perfect, you need to bend or shim it until it does. I use the TKat style. The brace mounts through slightly slotted holes so a perfect fit is not a problem.

nevermind, i found a set on Omar's DTR, for $150.

to crab cake: i installed the one from mikes on my 650 to stiffen up the front end and finish the look a bit (i'm not running a front fender) i haven't taken it on the road yet but the front end doesn't flex when i pin the wheel with my legs and torque the handle bars, before the fork brace it was amazing the amount of twist you could get out of it.

it's an easy install not to mention cheap. by the way, it will not fit over the front fender Mike's sells

Yes, I didn't think the Tkat cost $150. That one on Omar's site might be a version they make up and priced like most of their other stuff (high, lol). Mine is an old ATK brand, no longer made, that I had used in the past on my SR500. The Tkat is a copy of it .....

ATKForkBrace.jpg

I It really helped on my 650. The type Mike sells will work fine if it is a perfect fit - it can't be too tight or loose fitting between the fork legs or it can cause binding. If it doesn't fit perfect, you need to bend or shim it until it does.
My experience mirrors 5twins. I've been running one on my '75 for years (can't remember who made it). It made a good change in handling, but there was a bit of bending and slotting of the holes to get it to fit perfectly. I'd rank it up there with bronze swingarm bushings as a must do.

Don't forget the one provided by gordonscott here on the forum. It looks like a nice fit and at 50 bucks is a pretty good deal. When he makes one for my 34mm forks I'm going to get one.

I have been running the fork brace from Mike's XS for four or five years. The handling improvement is definitely there. One reason I went with this brace is that you can use it with the stock front fender. It isn't difficult to install but as has been previously mentioned you need to set it up with care to avoid binding.

Back