what battery size with starter????

jimmy5090

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i am needing to run an 81 with starter head & tail lights what would be the specs for a battery? the only thing i could find on here is 12v 14ah 1.4amp/10hours is this correct? i am looking for the smallest capable battery.

That is the stock Yuasa specs. If your using an electric starter you want a battery that has a good amount of cold cranking amps.
This is the Yuasa I have and you can tell your parts guy, who can find a suitable replacement that is equal to the Yuasa. YTX14AHL-BS

With a well tuned engine, you might be able to go down to 12 or 10 ah to turn that starter, 14 is best. Loose that starter and you can go down a lot. I've head of guys going down as far as 3ah with batteries about the size of a pack of smokes. I have a 5ah in my bobber, I think it's about 3X3X4 in.

A simple search would turn up that the Yamaha starter has many faults and requires the stock size battery to operate. Less than a 14 at full charge and its going to be defiant. If you want a small battery delete the starter. My 100 lb girlfriend can kickstart an xs:laugh:

Posted via Mobile

I got rid of my starter. It just didn't have enough "umph" to turn it fast enough. 1, or maybe, 2 kicks starts it. I still have a stock size battery though.
The only down fall to no starter is if the bike stalls. If you're not going fast enough to dump the clutch and pop start it, then you have to stop. Can't kick it while it's moving

Thanks guys. I will eventually remove the starter and go kick only but this motor has been sitting for over 15 years in a barn and i would like it to be dependable before i remove the starter. I dont really feel like kicking it everytime while i am working on it.

I can start my '80 xs with a very old, poor condition 9.6 volt dewalt drill battery. I gotta think that the 14ah battery is a bit of overkill, especially when you have a kicker in reserve. I'm probably going to run a 10 or 12ah battery, and just plug it into the battery tender each night to make sure its fully charged.

Back