What carbs can i run

Herndon18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My carbs are in ruff shape. Imma try to trade a guy parts.to clean them and jet them. But if can't what kind of carbs can I run and where can I get them. Thanks

The selection is large and limited only by your ability or funds.
But if it were me I would find my way in/around the stock 34's.
After you can tune those move on to something else?

I'm running into the same problem and can't seem to get parts for these old Mikuni's from my local shops. I seen a place online who is going to be offering Keihin PWK set ups which I would LOVE to get my hands on but they won't be available till June... My question is what's the next best thing, cheapest, and easiest to get parts for?? I'm really not familiar with the Mikuni's if I could I'd like to stick with Keihin if possible. Anyone? Help?

I'm running into the same problem and can't seem to get parts for these old Mikuni's from my local shops. I seen a place online who is going to be offering Keihin PWK set ups which I would LOVE to get my hands on but they won't be available till June... My question is what's the next best thing, cheapest, and easiest to get parts for?? I'm really not familiar with the Mikuni's if I could I'd like to stick with Keihin if possible. Anyone? Help?

Do a "Search" (upper left corner) for Keihin PWK carbs. Read the treads. Many people have had a lot of problems with those substandard carbs. First, they are not Japanese Keihin, they are cheap knock-offs, made in Taiwan I believe.

The stock Mikuni carbs are excellent carbs, with parts available on line.

One set of carbs you can use in place of the stock BS34's is from a Kawasaki EX500. The physical size and spacing is the same, even take the same size filters if you are going the pods route (I can't say anything about if you are using the stock airboxes). You can find them from much newer bikes (currently I am using a set from a 2004) although you will have to rejet to suit your needs. I have a little bit of info in my build thread as to the jetting I am running with pods and open exhaust.

I'm currently looking thru my local salvage yards for a set of the Keihin CVK carbs from the EX500. My progress is slow due to my busy schedule, but I'll get there eventually.

I priced out a brand new set at a dealer and they wanted $860... I want this bike built and done so I can ride but I need to save that cash for many other parts I need. Plus I want to get some powder coating done too.

There are tons on E-bay under 100 bucks. You gotta shop like you're planning on taking them apart and cleaning them (who would install a used carb without cleaning it first?) since you will need to work the jetting over anyway.

I just received a phone call about a good set from a salvage yard. He said he has a set that he's guaranteeing for $175 that's a complete set of the Keihin CVK from a ex500

When I got mine I got them off ebay and paid around $80 if I remember correctly and they had been sonicly cleaned and were in perfect shape when I got them. Eventhough they were in good shape I still pulled them apart and cleaned them and checked float levels as is recommended for any used carb.

hi guys,,, a few years ago i met a guy with a modified xs650 at a swap meeting ,,,he had a side draught webber carby on it and it ran well ,,he had also replaced part of the vertical frame near the carbys too let him do the conversion ,,, regards oldbiker

Back