What do folks do about the looks of our ugly ducklings?

What can one to to beautify their rides? Ride her for a while and listen to her. Change things that bother you about her. Make her YOUR bike. I got rid of electrical circuits I don't need. RLU and safety relays. Added a headlight "On/Off switch. Vacuum fuel tap was thrown as far as I could. Buckhorn bars? FIRST item removed and replaced with superbike bars. Shocks? Replace with a better ones. Front end? Minton Mod or Race Tech or ???. As much as your wallet or plastic can afford.In the end its whatever your imagination is, held back by your limits (be it cash, machining or whatever) is.
My ride is a "Road Warrior". No side covers. Scratched chrome. Sometimes oily and covered in brake and road dust. She gets her chrome wiped down at night. Sometimes. Gets Gunked down and cleaned. Few times a year. Chain cleaned, lubed and adjusted often. Oil and filter changed about every 1k mi. Ridden? As often and as long as possible.You get the idea...

I too have an 82 imported from the US and I'm changing it to, er, adjust the looks. I've put flatter bars on, am in the middle of replacing the 19+16 steel rims with 19+18 alloy rims. I've bought an LED tail light but wont fit it until i replace tbe seat. I haven't changed the shocks yet but anticipate fitting longer ones at some point ....
No doubt more will follow, like changing the exhaust and air filters.
I also bought a spare seat with a tatty top but a solid base, with a view to turning that into something without the horrid step. Anyone else tried this? Successfully?

I too bought some flat bars but have kept the original high rise bars on my 79 special as much as I want to change them for cafe clubman bars or even Triumph T120 style bars there is something extremely comfortable about the high rise bars that keeps me using them. I love the laid back easyrider position which actually feels a lot safer too for not having so much of my weight over the front wheel.

I bought a standard seat to replace my stepped special because I figured it would be a straight swop without hassle . Ive never fitted it and now think I'd be happier with one of these modern thin handmade seat covers that are fitted to street trackers and the like.

If you fit some foam filters and straight-thru silencers with a re-jetting you'll notice a huge inprovement in performance and throttle response. My bike has turned into a ferocious untamed animal overnight !

Part of the fun for me is that it's a slow process. Facebook just reminded me that today is exactly 2 years since I brought her home. I still haven't fully dialed in the look I want, which is why i haven't torn it down for paint yet.

Last year I did a toys for tots ride with about 300 other bikes. 99% of them were $20K Harleys and Here I was riding in on my XS with primer'ed side covers and 2 different color fenders. I got a lotta looks!

looks of interest I expect .
hope you blew their covers off ;)

Back