What do you think about this stretched chopper build?

RubberToe

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, in my search for my own xs650 I've come across this bike locally. I'm told the owner would let it go since he doesn't ride it and it's been a while since he built it.

One thing I'm not a fan of (in this case) is the extended swing arm. I think I'd have to put a stock one back on, lower the seat rails, and get shorter shocks.

Also, there's been some rake added to the front end and the motor's been rebuilt. Maybe a 750 kit on it. I'm not sure what I'd offer for it.

How does a bike that's been stretched out handle compare to a stocker?

chopper-600x402.jpg

Hi Rubber Toe,
typically, the longer a bike's wheelbase the better it goes in a straight line and the slower it corners.
Don't sweat the stretched swingarm, like you say, putting a stock swingarm back in will fix that if needful.
Me, I'd worry about the raked frame because that takes real work to get back from if you need to change it.
The raked front end? It depends how well it's been done and how much trail it has.
About the only way to check that (or any) bike's handling is to take it for a ride.

Hi reelop,
one man's treasure is another man's trash, eh?
And the forking prevert hasn't even done a proper hardtail!

From one internet picture the workmanship looks good it wasn't a rattle can and coat hanger build. If it runs shifts handles and charges well considering you are in Canada I might think you could go as high as 2K ish. But since you are going to rechange everything you want to be fairly certain you aren't paying good money for stuff you are just going to toss.
Oh having the rear wheel moved back helps with low seat location if you have some suspension action.

The only thing that sticks out as sketchy is that convoluted torque arm for the rear brake.

That is a compression member, compression forces through curved tubes? Not so good.

Should get some knowledgeable eyes on how well the neck work was done.

That seats got to go. I like bikes that sort of flow from front to back high to low. Look at the sharp unsightly angle that seat causes.
jefft

my 79 swingarm has been made 3 or 4 inches longer and has after market shocks that measure about 15.5 inches eye to eye with just the weight of the bike on the side stand. i have stock rake.

the bike seems to handle fine and seems very safe to me. i dont really push it that hard in the corners tho.

i like the longer swingarm and shocks as the bike sits a bit taller(i have a shaved down seat). the stance is good for me at 6ft tall. it also gives it a different sort of drag bike look.

if the bike in the pic is raked it aint been raked much. riding it will tell the tale if its been done right.if it handles good at slow speed and higher speeds, brakes well and doesnt feel like a pogo stick in tite corners at speed you may have a winner.

i like the looks of it but that board for a seat with foam and viynl stapled on it has to go!

The bike has potential. Remount the rear fender and get it off the rear tire. Extend the seat rail and a new longer seat would help the look of the bike. From the tank foreword the bike looks good.

I'm going to look at the bike in a bit. Apparently it's been sitting for 2 or 3 years, not sure how often it gets started.

I have a list of questions for him. He says he's "Not interested in low ball offers" and costs him nothing to sit. He has a lot of hours and $$ into the bike, sometimes people can't accept the truth (I hope he can). Tough to offer big money when I can go get a 2000 Harley Sportster for $4k.

Bike might be a good starting point to make your own with some work. Nothing about the seat, tank match. Lines of the bike are not flowing at all. But again depending on price might be a decent start.. 15-2000 is all I would go on that bike, 2 is on the high side,

- - - Remount the rear fender and get it off the rear tire. - - -

hi scabber,
that's a hugger-mounted fender, it's bolted to the swingarm so it can be close to the tire.
Swap the steel fender for a polished aluminum one and it'll look like a Vincent.

Where to start...

Saftied in April, stored in the garage since he finished it in 2006-07. The guy at www.newacecafe.com helped him build it. The guy there looks legit.

The front forks are raked, not a crazy amount and I think maybe only a couple inches of trail. Swing arm extended about 4 inshes and it looks better in person, I'll attach a pic I took.

Engine rebuild, from about 3 donor engines, best parts from each, bored out, larger pistons from Mikesxs. Stock carbs (rebuilt). I don't know what year most of the engine is from but I'm guessing pre 1980. I'll be speaking to the guy he got the basket cases from. He has 570 Kms on the bike since the rebuild.

It had no gas in it and dead battery. I kinda made him get some gas and put the charger on it. Only a few kicks and it fired right up.

It has an electric starter but he say it won't start with it cold since the gears are fucked on the engine side and says that's a thing. Is it?

Has title. I got the numbers from the frame but not the motor.

Shocks from Mikesxs, either stock length or longer.

He did the frame welding, with jigs, reinforced well. He's a big guy and said he didn't want to kill himself.

Forward controlls, hardened stainless linkages. All the old tabs on the frame are still there.

Nice paint job (he's a body man) but that doesn't mean shit.

The whole bike was basically rebuilt from the ground up.

The market here isn't like in the USA. The only other xs650 for sale here and the surrounding provinces are all hardtails and owner askin way too much. $3-4k and even $10k (that one's sweet build by a real pro). Other than that, nothing. The guy that helped him build it just sold a stocker, somewhat refurbished, "original condition" that he had listed for $2.5K (All Canadian Dollars BTW). No idea what he got for it.

I know he put countless hours into the build, lots of money too. He said he doesn't ecpect it back and seems to be pretty realistic about it. I offered $2k, responded by an instant "no". That's what he considdered a low ball offer.

I think if I want this bike it'll cost me at least $3-3.5K CAD. He said he's going to list it for $4.5k.

I'm thinking about contacting a local custom bike builder that's built at least one xs650 hardtail (sweet one too). And see if he'll come out to take a look at it for me and I'll pay him of course.

Attachments

• IMG_20140529_173909.jpg
    IMG_20140529_173909.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 221
Back