What does this color plug say to you?

cshumway

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I went on a 50 mile ride, stopped at walmart for a nice cold gatorade. My bike sat in the parking lot not covered by any shade in 88 degree weather for about 20 minutes. I went to start it up and it just cranked but wouldn't fire up. Fully charged battery. and 12 volts at the ignition coil. I always ride with the multi meter. I opened up my tank cap, still wouldn't kick over. The bike was pretty hot still so at this point I pushed it under some shade and went in for a slushy. Came back out and checked my ground wire, still connected. Power through the blade fuse box. Next I decided to check my plugs, because on my last journey out I had a similar issue of a non start and it turned out my plugs were black. I have since done the dead cyl method and thought I had the carbs dialed in because I now start on choke and she idols at 1200 rpms. I think these plugs look okay but what is your expert opinion? I swapped out the plugs with fresh ones that I had with me and it started right up. now did it start because it was cooler or because of the fresh plugs? I guess I can figure that out by putting these plugs back in and seeing if it starts...I will do that soon...but have a look at them and tell me if I might be too lean now...Thanks again

both plugs.jpg

plug 1.jpg

plug 2.jpg

plugs look fine to me... have you tried holding open the throttle slightly while starting? i found once i got my carbs tuned properly the bike needed the throttle cracked to start it up - same with my girlfriends 81 special

Okay, so I'm still wondering why it wouldn't start until it cooled down. Is that something that is normal when its 90 out?

Back