What does VM stand for?

well most all my harley buddies turn there own wrenches.
I think the fuel injected bikes get some pro help at times.
and one of my buddies well lets just say you would not want him to touch a wrench.
unless you need a laff.
voice mail,
very mild,
vinyl machine,
vibrating monkey

Fact is... more of the new Honda Gold Wing is Made In USA than the new HD.

2010 was the last Marysville (OH)-built Goldwing. There is no such animal as a 2011 Goldwing. Beginning with the 2012 model year, the Goldwing is built in Japan and imported to the USA.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. I never clicked on this thread cause I didn't know the answer to the question. When it got to 4 pages I HAD to see what was going on. Now I feel obligated to chime in: I don't remember who said it, but it rang true with me; "I don't hate Harley's, I hate their owners." great quote...

Oh for fuck sake! I just realized this thread is almost a year old..

Good thing, since I work out of a 300 Sq Ft Closet right now :laugh: No means, and less space = REAL Bike Building. Gotta get creative when the wallet is empty. :thumbsup:

I'm rebuilding an engine on a shop cart in a small corner of my laundry room. Got the furnace behind me and a washer and dryer next to me.
photobucket-5377-1326805710820.jpg

Yeah, that's a kitty litter bucket the lower end is inverted on :D

I'm rebuilding an engine on a shop cart in a small corner of my laundry room. Got the furnace behind me and a washer and dryer next to me.
Yeah, that's a kitty litter bucket the lower end is inverted on :D

I've got 3 bikes and a bunch of engines in my 10X10 shed. That's what I work out of. I don't even own an air compressor, lol. When I need to work around a bike, everything gets pulled out. My "work bench" is better now, but was a small, folding table with a piece of a bookcase on top of it.
table bench.jpg

All I have, but it works. Heat would be nice.

okay bill - where did this VM come from? Was it stamped on something?

I guess vacuum manifold. Although vibrating monkey sounds good too.

Wait a minute.....Aren't all chaps assless???? :D

Not if there is a harley rider in em' . . . :laughing:

I gotta go with "venturi - metering". I think my buddies & I use to blabber about such important info back when we were crazy into MX, Enduro, Trials and anything 2 wheeled & off road.

Last edited:
I've been riding longer than most. (right at 60 years) Over the years I've found Harley riders routinely ignore non-Harlely riders. BMW riders are superior to everyone and everything. Goldwing riders are always buying bling and looking for the next restaurant. Sport bike riders never wore jackets and helmets until it became cool. And folks who ride Japanese motorcycles but call them "Jap Bikes" are somehow ashamed of what they ride. Everyone is a poser in one form or another.

Haha, couldn't agree more! I think that pretty soon we will have to add mopeds to the list. I cant tell you how many times I've seen 250 pound college football players (who could rightfully kick my ass, so I hope I don't offend anyone here) with backwards hats, headphones, shorts, and sandals (no protection of any kind including eye) riding a 50cc moped buzzing along, struggling to keep up with traffic because of the lack of power to weight ratio. I've owned a 70s moped myself and even a Harley, and I hold nothing against any make of motorcycle or the riders, but I'm sick of this superiority bull shit backlash you get from owners because I don't ride a Harley, or a sportbike, or whatever the trend is.

It is the nature of humans to be "Tribal". We evolved that way and it's our claim to fame, the ability to sort and group information into useful categories defines us as a species as much as anything. Bill I fear your neighbor "bought" his friends, when the money went away he found out he was just renting, it wasn't really the Harley's fault. Rather sad but hard to feel that way when his demons force him into being an ass to all.

I call em Harley snobs and they are worse than high class snobs, though some of them are both. It is human nature to think we are better than everyone else around us. Unfortunately, this is how a lot of people build their self-esteem. Shaky ground though cause popular opinion can be fickle.

I, too, was interested in the meaning of VM, if any, when I started reading. Fast forward a few pages and I have to chime in.

I think the real issue regarding the HD RUB, or whatever you guys are calling it, has little or nothing to do with the machine but instead has everything to do with the personality behind it. It's about values, not the machine's brand name.

It's the same simple argument Pirsig makes about Classical Vs. Romantic thinking. The narrator makes his own shims from a discarded beer can, John buys them at the fancy shim shop specific for his BMW.

While the weekend warrior/trailed/rub HD rider might be an easy target, I'd guess there is a balance to this equation with every other make and model motor bike, including our beloved XS650. We don't see the non-mechanically inclined XS owner on the XS650 forum/at garage meet-ups because, just like the HD owner, he's not interested in reading/learning/contributing in the same way the members here are interested in this specific scene.

The venn diagram for this argument is so overlapping, you'd be lucky to really learn anything from its data.

just trying to call it what it is. a yamaha is a yamaha, a HD is a HD, a VM carb is a VM carb, a wrench is a wrench, and cold beer is delicious.

Last edited:
Bill I fear your neighbor "bought" his friends, when the money went away he found out he was just renting, it wasn't really the Harley's fault. Rather sad but hard to feel that way when his demons force him into being an ass to all.

I agree.

And again, for the record, I have nothing against Harley's.

I think the real issue regarding the HD RUB, or whatever you guys are calling it, has little or nothing to do with the machine but instead has everything to do with the personality behind it. It's about values, not the machine's brand name.

just trying to call it what it is. a yamaha is a yamaha, a HD is a HD, a VM carb is a VM carb, a wrench is a wrench, and cold beer is delicious.

:agree:
I've ridden over 100k on my '81 Super Glide, done all the work on it (except machining), paid for it all with overtime and side jobs, and wear an Arai full faced helmet in a no helmet law state. Not all Harley riders are "posers", some of us just like to ride a lazy big twin. :bike:
037.jpg

VM Very Meticulous

Last edited:
VM just refers to roundslide carbs.

FYI:

Porshce helped HD design the heads on the VROD only. You know, that odd ball water cooled overhead cam thingy that make over 100hp..

Although there are motorcyclists who ride Harleys, not every Harley rider is a motorcyclist. Rode HD for years, until I grew up. While on a trip in Nevada a year ago, I was filling up my BMW, when a Harley pulled in. My "good morning" to the rider produced a response asking why I rode such a foreign piece of shit when for the same $ I could have been riding "American Iron". As he was saying this, I noted that he was putting diesel from the green nozzle into his bike. I believe in one's right to choose his fuel and said nothing. After a cup of coffee, I left the station. Four miles down the road, there he was, kicking the American icon. Having stopped and saluted him with a random finger, he threw something at me and missed. Ain't had so much fun since.

Harley is changing the manufacture of wheels from Austrailia to China. China is to American manufacturing like lard is to peanut butter. My only acceptable Harley is an old Harley.

Tom

Back