What grips do you suggest?

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
The padded foamy type grips on my '78 Special are wore out, mashed, and splitting. Plus, I'm looking for something to reduce vibration for longer rides. What do you guys suggest I replace them with? Also, it appears that these suckers are on nice and tight. How do I get them off without damaging anything?

Thanks,

What tonyc said. Find them at Mikes or any decent bike shop. Dennis Kirk. Maybe even evilbay.

5twins I hope you got 3-4 extras, your link says "no longer available".

cmyoch I've had good luck with a butter knife and hot soapy water to get them off.
If they have holes in the end you can stick an airgun in one hole, plug the other and blow it off.

I saw that they were no longer available too. Do you guys think new foam grips would absorb more vibration than the rubber ones?

weedendrider, I saw a youtube video on how to blow them off with an air tip. Mine have a lot of hard plastic around the ends to where I won't be able to do that. I figured I'd slice off what I can and use a little penetrating oil or WD-40 for the plastic to loosen them up.

I bought a pair of Dual Color Fin Grips ( http://www.mikesxs.net/products-59.html#products Part #022488) from MikesXs. They feel great and are easier to use than most others I've used because the fins allow me to use my entire hand, just my fingers or just the palm of my hand to twist the throttle. Problem is: Mine are cracking after only 6 months.

I would love to find other finned grips in solid black with a longer life.

I've been running the Grab-ons http://grabongrips.com/ with good results for many years. For my hands, they seem to reduce vibration, and I think, because they have a little more traction, I don't have to grab them as hard, which helps. I just slice the old ones off with a razor blade. If you want to reuse them, the butterknife and some WD-40 works for me.

I like the look of the Grab Ons. How do I go about ordering them off of the website? I guess I'll call the 800 number tomorrow.

Back