what happened to my battery??

rickieh

XS650 Owner
Reaction score
Ok, so i bought a new battery for my bike yesterday,put the acid in yesterday charged it for 4 hours this morning on my auto charger which kicked off and said it was charged,i put it in my bike turned the key and the lights came on,for about 4 seconds.then they kicked off anf i couldnt get anyhting to work,i took out the battery and put it back on the charger and its been charging now for about 2 hours...if it was a short wouldnt i have seen sparks and the lights shutoff instantly?

2 amp/hour thats what the battery's book said to use

also thats what its on right now

Have it load tested. I bought a battery from Batteries Plus awhile back and it was junk right off the shelf.

i just re-read the pamphlet that came with the battery, says to let set for upto an hour after charging before use.i took mine straight from the charger to the bike?maybe thats it?its currently setting and ill put it back in later today

Usually the recomended charge rate is 1/10 the amp/hour rating of the battery.
The Battery you have is a 14 amp/hour battery. So 1/10 of 14 is 1.4 amps. The 2 amp is a bit high, but it shouldn't have hurt the battery.
I might suggest getting a motorcycle battery charger with 1.5 amp charge rate that has the float charger as well. No trickle chargers, they have too high a charge voltage and boil a battery.
Now on your battery once you fill it with the acid that comes with it, it should set so the acid can soak into the plates, then top up the cells with more acid. After this if the acid level gets low add distilled water, NOT acid.
Now charge. Once charged it should be ready to use.
Being a new battery take it back to where you bought it and have them test it. If bad get it replaced.
It happens now and then you get a bad battery off the shelf.
Taking it straight to the bike shouldn't have hurt it. Checking the voltage just off the charger then letting it stand for awhile then checking the voltage will give you some idea of the state of charge.
Fresh off the charger it can read as high as 14 to 14.5 volts, after it sets the voltage drops some as the charge stabilizes. It should drop back to around 12.5 to 13.5 volts. If it drops lower then the battery may be bad.
I have a Schumacher charger Model #SEM-1562A. Wal Mart has it on thier web site for $19 A real good price.
It come with a clamp on end or a lugged end that permanently hooks to your battery and you just plug the charger on the leads.
Leo

Back