What headers are these? (I give up)

QWERTYMage

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I tried digging around to figure out what headers these are (year or model number)...

I'm looking for something that will fit tightly to the engine, will work with the stock mid mounts, and will work with the stock kick arm and a TC Brother's Kick stand...

I think these will do the trick (If I can figure out what headers these are)...

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Brat1.jpg
    Brat1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 138
They appear to be stock XS650 Special headers probably cut behind the frame mounting tab, don't know any other headers that look the same.

I'll add that the specials ran from '78 to '83 in the states.

followup question: my bike is a '75. Would Special headers fit? (I assume they would but I've been made an ass regularly and it's getting expensive)

Yeah, should fit with no problem. I believe the frame mount to the lower header flange will line up too. There's a thread about cutting the mufflers off and using an adapter to mount after market mufflers.

Double check the frame mount. I've had Special headers on my '77 and I think there's two threaded bolt receivers on each side of the frame, just pick the one that fits......though I haven't fooled with '75 frames.

followup question: my bike is a '75. Would Special headers fit? (I assume they would but I've been made an ass regularly and it's getting expensive)

Hi Qwerty,
most stock XS650 exhausts fit most XS650s give or take a bracket position or two.
The main reason folks re-use the stock dual wall headers is because they came with the bike for free so it's worth the extra hassle of sawing off the rusted out stock mufflers and mounting aftermarket mufflers to the stock headers' inner pipes rather than paying for aftermarket single wall headers.
BTW, if your build emulates the bike shown in your post, fer fuxsake put a front brake on it.
The life you save may be your own.

Back