What is the difference between a 277 and 270 degree re phase?

Here is the rocking couple.

XSRePhaseChartRC1.jpg

The 360° is of course zero. The 180° is the greatest. The 277° in this case is slightly better than the 270°, but again the differences are so small I don't think you would notice it.

I've been messing around with different balance factors for a 277°. The charts show a 360° for comparison. Not knowing what the stock balance factor is, I left it at the "perfect" 64%. There is also a 277° at 64% to get an idea of what it looks like when you re-phase without rebalancing, and the "perfect" 53%. I'll explain the 100% and 85% as we go along.

First we'll look at the up/down vibration.

XS277UpDown.jpg

It's no surprise that the 360° vibrates a lot here. The rephase is lower but more importantly, it only shows a single cycle, which means that the secondary forces are being canceled out. You can eliminate the primary forces with a 100% balance factor. The little ripple that is left is the secondary force which remains because they are not perfectly 90° out of phase. On a true 270° the secondary forces are practically zero.

Next we'll look at the front/back vibration.

XS277FrontBack.jpg

Here the "perfect" 277° is about 60% of the 360° and the 100% is a bit higher than the 360°. Setting the balance factor to 85% matches the vibration to to the 360°.

Now for the rocking couple.

XS277Rocking.jpg

Here is where the 360° shines, absolutely zero. The "perfect" rephase actualy has the highest rocking couple at TDC and the lowest at BDC. The 100% balance factor cancels the primary forces so what you see is the secondary forces, a perfect sin wave at twice the frequency of the RPM. You saw that the secondary forces cancel out in the up/down vibration chart, but here they double.

There is another couple to consider as well. Imagine you are looking down at the engine. The two crank throws are not in the same plane, so if the right one is pushing forward and the left one is pushing back the engine will want to "wag". To not confuse this with what we are already calling the rocking couple, I'm going to call it the wagging couple.

XS277Wagging.jpg

Again, the 360° is zero. The piston motion has no effect here so it's simply a matter of greater balance factor equals greater wagging couple.

Based on this, I think I'm going to try an 85% balance factor on my next build. The up/down vibes will be greatly reduced but remain at the primary frequency. The front back vibration will be the same as stock which is cool because I like watching the front wheel wobble at idle. The rocking couple won't be much different than what I have now (re-phase without rebalance).

Very interesting work, thanks for sharing it. Have you seen Tony Foale's little balance factor app? It's single cylinder only but it's free on his site and it has a "polar" plot style that you might find handy for displaying force in two dimensions at once. I'd love to see what the rephases look like on that type of plot

here is a link to xs650.org that has a downloadable file, ( not compatible with this site), that shows an "Engine vibration model" that can be changed to any configuration between 0 degree to 180.

I have a 277 rephase that I have now ridden more than 30,000 miles and I still am impressed with the modification. The reduction in secondary vibration is quite apparent with almost all of the buzziness gone. Don't know by the seat of the pants how much different a 270 would be but I suspect that other factors such as handlebars, seats, pegs, etc would make a bigger difference.

BTW, I wrote the app that was (or is?) posted on the aussie site and can tell you that I did not have the math right in that version. Here is a screen shot from the version that was corrected.

BTW, thanks mrriggs for posting those plots!

Attachments

• 2013-01-17_18-06-51.png
    2013-01-17_18-06-51.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 197
Having the opportunity to hear both the 277 and 270 with the exact mufflers, I prefer the exhaust note of the 277 XS1 with 256 cam:bike:

So how much is the 270. Come.on.Hugh spill.the.beans ;)

Being that my Australian contact flaked out on me and never shipped my full order of 270 crank pins - I'll not likely be offering it until I can find a more reasonable person to supply the pins... Do I sound bitter :)

Being that my Australian contact flaked out on me and never shipped my full order of 270 crank pins - I'll not likely be offering it until I can find a more reasonable person to supply the pins... Do I sound bitter :)

Thats not good...:confused:

Back