What is the negitave side of coil with pamco

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok Ive searched our site and read lots of posts about pamco, e-advance hooking up. Ive got the pamco and e-advance working fine. My problem is I want to hook up a electronic tachometer in my system. I read one post where you wire the green tach wire to the negative side of the coil. I also read that the green wire of the e-advance is the negative side of the advance unit. I hooked up the electronic tachs 3 wires red, black and green. Red to + fuse block, black to battery frame ground and the green one to the green wire from the e-advance units green wire going to coil. My tach lights up and reads 0 rpm. Do I have it hooked up proper or is this new tach defective? I also wired in a 1m ohm resistor. Any thoughts on this? thanks

One primary terminal of the coil takes constant 12V switched power (positive). The other side is the ground connection which is opened and closed by the advance unit green signal wire (negative). The tach signal wire can only get a signal from the negative terminal. Don't know why you're not getting a reading.

Back