What is the proper Idle when you install a PAMCO Ignition

socxs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 80 xs650 Special II that I switched from TCI to Pamco. I am running pods and a vacuum petcock. Also running a green monster coil. Exhaust is stock. I know the book recommends 1200 for stock TCI and I read that a regular points system should be 1500. Anyone know which is proper or what idle runs best.

By the book, limiting speed for idle is battery charging, if the idle is set too low, excessive idling will run the battery down. So if you don't leave it sitting around idling, you can set idle to whatever is comfortable for you. Some where just above 1000 seems to be a reasonable smooth idle number. A popular "mod" for linked carbs is a short section of fuel line pushed over the idle screw head, then easy finger adjustment lets you put it just where you want it. Idle does move around with engine and ambient temperature.

My take is 1200 or above. I like about 14 to 1500 when cold or I have the lights on in town. Not only is there less chance of stalling but there may be a bit of charging going on. At least the battery may not be losing charge as fast.

Another thing to think about is the oiling of internal engine parts. This is a high speed engine so the oil pump is designed with that in mind. If you set an idle too low the pump is barely flowing any oil and the head, as well as other areas, may not be getting proper oil.

Tom

Open a valve cover and start the engine, let it idle, enough oil flow?

Or loosen a banjo bolt at the oil feed tube / head junction, spin the starter a few seconds. The bottom end is roller bearing they need little or no pressure oil. MM tells of a racer that had accidentally blocked his oil feed tube, The bike raced for a season with no visible effects.

I have an oil pressure gage on my '81/H and when the engine is hot at idle, the pressure reads Zero. There is obviously enough oil flow however. gggGary is correct. The roller or ball bearings produce very little pressure so an idle at 1200 RPM is fine.

Back