What is this, and why is it leaking fuel??

Ryrog

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Posted a while back about the bike not starting. Put in a new battery and it started. When I drove it though it didn't accelerate very smoothly. It was running a bit sputtery if that makes sense? Now when I try to start it it just dies right away. Could fuel have gotten into the oil and that's causing it to be sputtery and die? I figure an oil change will make it run smoothly. However I don't own a manual and am not sure where to even begin with draining the oil and changing any filters. If anyone has a link with pics on an oil change that would be awesome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 234
get a manual....use the search function....oil change will not help, other than getting the fuel that ran into the engine side of the carbs, and you now have 2 qts extra liquid in your lower half.
yank the carbs, check float hiegth, search it don't ask. you can do it.

Yep, you got carb issues...probably other things as well...but that's where I'd start. Get a manual (you can search the forum as well... and there are online manuals that you'll soon find in the tech section above).

That area is for draining the carb float bowl.
Check oil for gas. If there is gas in oil.
Under the engine there is 2 drain plugs. remove both to drain oil. also on the bottom front is a plate remove that after the oil is drained it has a oil screen/filter, clean/repair/replace one of the 3 options. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72. also on right side cover there is a small round cover with 2 screws holding it on, remove that too there is a screen/filter there clean/replace. if gaskets or filters are bad you can get them here
You will should pull the carbies to see why the carb leaked. Thas=t's probably the reason for the bike running bad. CVcarb guideL] Looks like you have BS34 carbs.
[URL="http://www.biker.net/650_service/650service%20main.html"]manual on the left side of the page you will find the sections of the manual just download and keep

While gas in your oil may not make it run bad "right away" it will destroy your engine in fairly short order. Check oil level, bike level or on center stand, is it above full, does it SMELL like gas? This isn't always easy to decide. Rub your fingers on the stick,does the oil feel "thin"? If there is significant gas in your oil you have TWO issues, a carb float valve that isn't sealing and a petcock that isn't shutting off. What carbs are you running? Something about that float bowl looks "different" to me.

Back