What is this part of my bike used for?

1palace

XS650 Member
Reaction score
1981 Xs650 Pamco/Pma
Rewiring bike is current project.. very close to being done with the removal.. found two parts that I’m confused on at the moment.. any knowledge is appreciated!
This first one has a burned off wire attached to it.. not sure what it was used for.

Attachments

• 1FD65DEF-8C55-483F-8418-44A26EA4D0C7.jpeg
    1FD65DEF-8C55-483F-8418-44A26EA4D0C7.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 835D9A5F-2FDB-4D2D-8964-44F49509B353.jpeg
    835D9A5F-2FDB-4D2D-8964-44F49509B353.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 109
The first one is a regulator rectifier unit. The second is a dual output ignition coil.

It appears to be a rather expensive Dyna coil.

Should I keep both of them at this point? I don’t know why they wouldn’t be working but the dyna coil appears to be in the way of getting to the bike’s veins. I’m going to some research on them but I was thinking now of referencing a diagram and just removing what I don’t need from the wires I have available.

Should I keep both of them at this point? I don’t know why they wouldn’t be working but the dyna coil appears to be in the way of getting to the bike’s veins. I’m going to some research on them but I was thinking now of referencing a diagram and just removing what I don’t need from the wires I have available.
You're going to need a coil. That one should be about 3 ohm. That is the factory location for the coil although the Dyna can't use the factory frame tabs. Your VR might not be compatible with the PMA.

Lad, you have my sympathies.
That someone would yank a stock TCI charging/ignition system and replace it with an abortion. Brings to mind the old adage of "Has an idea but ain't got a clue" .
Good to see you're still pecking at it.
Keep your eyes open for a parts bike, '80's models would be good and could help get you on the road. You found that one, you could find another.

Back