What is this plugged hole for?? ('72 engine case)

jb_supermoto

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a hole cast into the engine case just above and forward of the CS on the left side. There is some sort of steel plug or something in it. I don't think it is there on the later engines. Mine is a '72. There is a crack in the case that a PO welded, and it looks like it was from a chain break incedent or something. Anyway, it appears that a PO filled the hole with silicone sealer and it was leaking a little oil. So, I dug out all the silicone and the pic is where I am now. I am going to fill the hole and crack with JB weld (I know, hillbilly fix, but the next step would be to remove engine split cases etc.). I just want to make sure there is not something servicable behind that plug that I will need before splitting the cases.. Any thoughts? And yes I know the clutch push rod seal is missing. I pulled it out to replace too. Thanks -

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 271
are you talking about the hole right next to the chain sprocket thats the clutch push rod seal?

No. As the last sentence in my first post says, I know the pushrod seal is missing, I took it out. I am talking about the hole with the stainless looking plug in it that is up top next to the side cover bolt hole. the one with the welds around it from a previous repair.

I'd say its used during the manufacturing process to install the "Schaltgabein", which every German knows, means transmission forks.

The other 94 viewers knew it was for the tranny forks, but many XS650 guys are rather secretive about some aspects of the bike. I hope I don't get into trouble for revealing this mystery access plug:D

Attachments

• Engine interior.jpg
    Engine interior.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 160
To clarify a bit, it's a steel cup with needle bearings in it pressed into the engine case. The shift fork drum sits in the bearing.

I think it's actually a needle bearing rather than an access plug but yeah, it supports that end of the shift forks.

I actually have a weld on almost the exact same spot of my 71. Must have been a vulnerable point.

It is your Shifter drum shaft bearing/plug.
Sorry I opened this and walked away for a bit before the others answered and now I cant delete
V/R
Riksoto

Yes. I did the JB weld about an hour ago. We'll see what happens. What you can't see in the picture is the tiny crack at about 4 o'clock on the aluminum around the shift drum bearing cup. I really would like to fix it right, but if I pulled this motor out to rebuild it, I wouldn't use that cracked/welded case anyway so why not JB weld it. We'll see what happens. I should have used the JB weld putty because the stuff I used was a little runny and got thicker at the bottom after settling but should still be ok. Fingers crossed..

When I rebuilt my 72 I used JB weld over the plug. However I had the enginre out, cleaned and on its side and allowed it to set up before putting it in service. Might be hard to do in the bike unless you can lay it on its side and get it supper clean. No leaks in 7 years.

Funny how a guy gets pissed when he gets a lot of looks but no answers then doosn't bother to finish his thread.............

7 years................must have one them at the same time

Back