What kind of wire to rewire bike?

I'm of the opinion that main lighting (headlight, taillight, brake light) and charging system stuff need 14 gauge. Coils for points ignition, 14 gauge. Later coils can probably be OK with 16 gauge but 14 adds some extra margin. Everything else will be fine with 18 gauge. From personal experience relays and 14 gauge will definitely help with headlight output!

Waytek has a huge selection of solid color wire. There's some websites out there with multicolor wire, i.e main color and tracer, etc.

I wired up my XS650 with 16ga all around. Ancor marine wire - tinned stranded copper.

Lead from the battery is 10ga if I recall. Entire bike runs off a single 10a fuse.

Full lighting system, H4 bulb, Pamco ignition (started with Boyer), high output coils. Never had a problem.

I like the idea of 14ga for some of it though and might do that on the next 2 bikes I have to wire up. Will also isolate some of the circuits on different fuses so a short in my signal lights doesn't cause the ignition to fail. But, 4 years now of very aggressive riding (she does 115) and no problems. Only time I've blown the fuse is when I was doing something stupid in the wiring and shorted something myself.

Back