Wiring Gauge

CjVoller

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Recommended wire gauge to simplify and rewire bike from scratch? Has anyone used the cloth covered (vintage) wire from TC Bros? Is this more of a pain than it's worth for the aesthetic?

A lot of people like to go up in size, but I like to use the stock gauge, which is 18 for almost everything, with just a couple of exceptions. Keeping the gauge small will make bundling and routing a lot easier.
The cloth wire might be okay for key exposed areas, but I'd avoid it. It's too bulky, and will make routing and bundling harder.
The best source for wire is your old harness. Strip it and re-use it. This will save a lot of $.

A lot of people like to go up in size, but I like to use the stock gauge, which is 18 for almost everything, with just a couple of exceptions. Keeping the gauge small will make bundling and routing a lot easier.
The cloth wire might be okay for key exposed areas, but I'd avoid it. It's too bulky, and will make routing and bundling harder.
The best source for wire is your old harness. Strip it and re-use it. This will save a lot of $.
Perfect, thank you this reassures my way of thinking as well. Didn't even cross my mind to rob the wire from the existing harness, will sure beat buying 100 ft of different colors when I only need a couple.

Thanks

For any lighting, brakes, turn sig etc that you convert to LED... you could shrink those down even further to 20ga.

The cloth covered wire from TC Bros is way overpriced and only available in 14-16 gauge and the colors are limited. If your going to run LED lights you can use a smaller wire for those. Quality bullet connectors and a proper crimping tool are a must. I`m no electrical expert by any means but I`ve wired 5 builds from scratch and have had good luck with 18 gauge for most circuits and 14-16 gauge for the main battery feed to the fuse block and starter solenoid etc. 20 gauge on the LED lighting. Don`t know what type of bike your wiring but there are a lot of good wiring diagrams on this forum. I`m not a big fan of the simple wiring kits offered on some of the XS web sites as there just a hand full of wire and a couple of switches. :twocents:
DSCN0813-001.JPGDSCN0850-001.JPG

Back