Wiring Overhaul

CjVoller

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just recently picked up a super clean 1980 XS650 special II and am planning to replace the carbs ignition/ charging system and simplify the bike as much as possible. I have already learned a lot from this forum about the aftermarket carb kits and the ignition/ charging (sounds like it is a little more involved with the 1980+ models). curious if anyone has completely overhauled the wiring harness to get it as bare bones as possible and looking for advice. I am planning on removing the battery and stock lights and turn signals. please comment with any advice for completely replacing the wiring.

Have a look in Tech. Lots of barebones diagrams in there.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/some-wiring-diagrams.61/

1693869315002.png

I've done a few: rewired the tracker with stock ignition and charging after having repeated fuses blowing with the original harness. Wired an '82 from scratch with a VAPE PMA/CDI system on a bobber build. It's a bit time consuming and ya need to source quality materials (terminals, wire, etc).

If it's a clean original "80 Special II, I might not jump into a re-wire unless indicated due to problems. I would not remove the battery - assuming planning a capacitor - in any case (I like my E-start) IMO that's less reliable/simple.

Back