What model brakes are these?

Greenmachine

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up these brakes and they had no pads etc in them so I need to order some rebuild kits and pads. I'm not sure what model they came off to order the parts. Don't let the mags fool you as they didn't come from the same guy so years mixed up. Front forks are 34mm. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC_0671 (640x426).jpg
    DSC_0671 (640x426).jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0673 (640x426).jpg
    DSC_0673 (640x426).jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 116
Those are just standard 650 brakes armt they? Isn't the only year a disc brake appeared on an xs 1981?

Posted via Mobile

you know you should have one thread and use that to work through your problems. The thread about the triples directly relates to this thread.

Being an 81 frame it won't have the mounts for the reservoir for the disk brake rear or the mount for the rear caliper. The swing arm is off an earlier model, could be a 78/79 special, and they have the mounts for the disk brake rear stay and the brake hose, or it could be from a 74-79 standard but they have the mounts for the drum brake stay arm which would have to be changed for your disk brake. Missing the lugs from the rear of the swing arm, may be hard to find a set of those.

A lot of mismatched parts, creating a lot of work.

Maybe you should ask some advice before purchasing or do some search's as this has been covered many many times.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm getting somewhere atleast. I know I have a very mixed bag of parts but everything I have I picked up dirt cheap and figured I could either make it work if not won't loose out selling the bits that dont work. Gotta start somewhere and I have also found when xs650 parts pop up here in Australia you have to jump on them quick or their gone. If the price is right I'll grab them and work out what I can use or not latter and still be able to sell bits I don't need later. Might be different in the USA but parts arnt so easy to come by here.

Back