What other more powerful calipers fit the XS650 ?

I havn't seen anything else that fits unless you are able to build your own mounting adapter that will hold it to the forks or frame? Those I saw done used another fork assembly or had them on a complete custom frame build. The alignment will be different so lots of engineering comes into the equation. I find that the XS calipers works fine. Try cross drilling the rotors and adding stainless hoses. The few I did those changes to have rock hard levers and will lock up the tire if needed.

Last edited:
I have just recently installed a couple of Brembo calipers. I made up my own adapter plates from 3/8" aluminum. The offset of the stock disks works just fine, i.e. no adapter required for the disks.

No testing done yet with the new calipers, but probably within a week or so.

Attachments

• IMG_6171 R1.JPG
    IMG_6171 R1.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 1,277
Last edited:
You might find it easiest to fit a master cylinder with a larger bore. Increasing the bore of the master cylinder while retaining the stock sized caliper would increase the PSI at the caliper.

Of course, doing that would most certainly require the stainless hose recommended by TwoJugs.

Pandemonium Choppers kit $36 and brembo caliper (2 pin style) from a Ducati with a stock rotor work great! Just make sure you match it with the proper master cylinder. I use this kit on both my XS's with the magura master that MikesXS sells and the stopping power is like a modern sportbike.

brembo1.jpg

brembo.jpg

I have just recently installed a couple of Brembo calipers. I made up my own adapter plates from 3/8" aluminum. The offset of the stock disks works just fine, i.e. no adapter required for the disks.

No testing done yet with the new calipers, but probably within the a week or so.

That looks sweet. I'm interested in your rear setup if you want make some extral.

You might find it easiest to fit a master cylinder with a larger bore. Increasing the bore of the master cylinder while retaining the stock sized caliper would increase the PSI at the caliper.

Of course, doing that would most certainly require the stainless hose recommended by TwoJugs.

My understanding is that the smaller the bore, the higher the line pressure:

http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

I found that a 13mm worked best for a single 4 piston Brembo. The original dual caliper setup came from Brembo w a 16mm MC.

Here's my setup, it works AWESOME. Dan at pandemonium made the bracket for my 34mm front end.

LxALDl.jpg

My understanding is that the smaller the bore, the higher the line pressure:

http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

I could be confused but because we're talking about bores at two different ends of the system, increasing master cylinder bore increases pressure at the caliper because it moves more brake fluid-- I think.

A smaller bore at the caliper would increase pressure at the caliper but it would also reduce braking forces as less fluid is being moved.

And please, if I'm confused, somebody school me.

No testing done yet with the new calipers, but probably within the a week or so.

Hi TRG....I would, among others I'll bet, be really interested in one of your excellent write-ups of the conversions process you're going through once you've shaken things down. Assume you're doing front and rear on your 78 SE?

Best, Blue

Hi TRG....I would, among others I'll bet, be really interested in one of your excellent write-ups of the conversions process you're going through once you've shaken things down. Assume you're doing front and rear on your 78 SE?

Best, Blue

Hey Blue, good to chat with you. Yes, the calipers are going on the front and rear. They are mounted on the bike now, and I just bled them to-day. I was originally planning on using just a 2 piston caliper on the back, but decided you can't have too much braking, so threw caution to the wind, and went with 4 piston front and rear.

I will be using my stock master cylinders and stock disks as a trial to see how it all works out.

I had lots of things removed from the bike over the winter, and still have not got them all back on yet. Once I get the carbs, fuel tank and exhausts re-mounted, I will do some riding and report how well Italian calipers work on a Japanese bike. Hopefully there won't be a clash of cultures:D

Attachments

• Front caliper mounted.JPG
    Front caliper mounted.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Rear caliper mounted.JPG
    Rear caliper mounted.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 1,566
I will be using my stock master cylinders and stock disks as a trial to see how it all works out.

Retiredgentleman, how's the clearance between the pads? Here's an excerpt from a different site that verified my concerns

http://sideburnmag.blogspot.com/2011/06/japanese-patient.html said:
"eBAy (...) 2006 Ducati Monster 4 pot Brembo (...) - and with a simple chunk of tailor-made aluminium as an adaptor, fit, but...

(...) hell, the Brembo fits like a glove, loads of room between rear of caliper and spokes, trouble is it fits like a kids glove on an adult hand! Bloody ancient Yam disc is 3mm thicker than modern discs....So now I have to change the disc as well....but the alignment of the bolt holes will be guaranteed Not to match that of the Yam hub...WILL THIS NEVER END?!

(...) How about skiming the Yam disc? (...) True to their 70s origin they are chromed (...)"

Like everyone else, I am tossing around the idea of the Brembo upgrade for various reasons. My existing calipers and master cylinders need to be overhauled which adds up to more than an eBay Ducati takeoff.

Retiredgentleman, how's the clearance between the pads? Here's an excerpt from a different site that verified my concerns

Like everyone else, I am tossing around the idea of the Brembo upgrade for various reasons. My existing calipers and master cylinders need to be overhauled which adds up to more than an eBay Ducati takeoff.

Yes, to use the stock XS650 disk, you need to grind the calipers a little wider in the pad area. Widen them out to about 1/2" works fine and is easy to do.

ok so maybe i missed this in the thread, but where did you get the bracket to do the rear setup? This swap looks awesome! The only concern i have, other than i need to put SS lines, is that stock rotors are heavy, even if you drill them. Any thoughts on other aftermarket rotors that would still fit but would still cut theweight down? maybe with other rotors, you wouldnt need to file down the caliper to clear xs650 rotor?

Just my two cents. Best of luck. Like to know what you find out when you get yours going. Keep us posted!:thumbsup:

Back