What the heck, heres my build thread.

barelycompetent

81 XS650 Special
Reaction score
So I picked up my first xs650 back in October, and I love the bike, its an 81 special. I am doing a cafe on it, and due to another project, and the holidays I am finally getting started on it. So here is where I at with it now. First pic is the bike stock on my lift, and the rest is where I stand now, just need to send a few things to paint, mount my new exhaust when it comes in and hide/shorten/lengthen my wiring harnes! Hope you guys like it, its called El Diablo Rojo, and I do plan to keep her red!

Attachments

• build.jpg
    build.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 225
  • build2.jpg
    build2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 178
  • build3.jpg
    build3.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 187
  • build4.jpg
    build4.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 184
  • build5.jpg
    build5.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 182
  • build6.jpg
    build6.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 197
So I just got my tank and rear section back from paint, and all I can say is WOW. It wont be going on the bike anytime soon as I am waiting on my parts to rebuild the petcock. My exhaust from Gordonscott should be here sometime this week as well, and once I get that back from powdercoat I should have about a solid hour of work left to button everything up. Now if the weather would just get above zero so I can get in the garage that would be great lol. Heres a pic of the paint, just ignore the kids blankets that its sitting on.

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 164
I see you have been to Sturgis, or do you just have the flags? Im also a member of the 81 special club. lookin good.

Yes sir been to Sturgis twice, first time in 2010, and second time in 2012, when I met two crazy Aussies that were camping right next to us and they gave me the Aussie flag. Im going back again in 2015 for the 75th. Took my hardtail Harley chopper both times, trailered it, but Im gonna ride it out for the 75th. A friend is bringing a trailer for the just in case mishaps, so I might sneak the 650 in as well lol. I see you are from the Black Hills area, I must say that is some of the most absolutely beautiful riding I have ever done.

Yes sir been to Sturgis twice, first time in 2010, and second time in 2012, when I met two crazy Aussies that were camping right next to us and they gave me the Aussie flag. Im going back again in 2015 for the 75th. Took my hardtail Harley chopper both times, trailered it, but Im gonna ride it out for the 75th. A friend is bringing a trailer for the just in case mishaps, so I might sneak the 650 in as well lol. I see you are from the Black Hills area, I must say that is some of the most absolutely beautiful riding I have ever done.
Yep, it is beautiful here. I grew up 12 miles from Sturgis in the little town of Piedmont(right in the middle of Rapid City and Sturgis) and went to high school in Sturgis. Been to damn near every rally since around 1976.

Yep, it is beautiful here. I grew up 12 miles from Sturgis in the little town of Piedmont(right in the middle of Rapid City and Sturgis) and went to high school in Sturgis. Been to damn near every rally since around 1976.

Well Rusty, in 76 I was only 2yrs old lol. I cant wait to go back next year, gonna stay at the Broken Spoke again, cant beat it for 100 bucks and stay the entire time.

Rusty Im riding my hardtail Harley out next year, but if there is room in the trailer I might sneak the 650 in as well, either way sounds like a plan! Thanks Scabber, it looks absolutely amazing in the sunlight, it might actually make it onto the bike this weekend, depends on work, weather, and the big game on Sunday lol.

So I got most if not all of my wiring done and hidden, still debating on whether or not to extend the reg/rec wiring to hide that nasty white plug, and still have to make, paint and mount a battery strap, which will in turn put my battery under the mounting pan, and just barely visible. The only thing you will see when the seat section is on, are the solenoid and a touch of the battery. With any luck the weather will cooperate enough for me this weekend to get out in the garage and get all of the wiring buttoned up! Then its hang the exhaust, when it gets here and gets powdercoated, and mount the tank and seat section and put this one in the done column lol.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 148
Black tape easy fix for the plug no one will notice not a focal point. The cold weather hurting my build. Super Bike super bowl. :cheers:

Thats actually not a bad idea, as I hate wiring lol. I had thought about spray bombing it black when I paint my battery strap, but Im really just not sure if I want it there and covered or extended and hidden. I guess its not to noticeable like you said if my solenoid is going to be visible. The weather is supposed to break into the 50's here tomorrow so that will motivate me to get back out in the garage and finish it up. I guess I could hide it and see how it looks when the bike is all back together, its not to hard to get to if I need to extend it.

Well its been awhile since I updated this thread, not much of a build thread, but she is done! I call her El Diablo Rojo. Took her for a 20mile ride this afternoon, low 30's, and I couldnt feel my fingers afterwords, but who cares she is done, and a blast to ride!

Attachments

• eldiablorojo.jpg
    eldiablorojo.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 326
  • eldiablorojo2.jpg
    eldiablorojo2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 179
  • eldiablrojo3.jpg
    eldiablrojo3.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 154
Like they all said, "looking great"
But a true cafe should have a big tank and wire wheels.
Not to worry, a Standard XS650 tank is a straight swap, as are the aluminum rim wire wheels from a '75. Just swap the 2-part brake disk for the one you already have.
Or you could double up. leftside caliper from an XS750/850/1100 Standard works.
Also gives a far better lever feel.

Why does a 'true' cafe racer have to have wire wheels? Ive seen plenty of wicked cafe style builds with mags. Sure wire wheels look more 'vintage', but mags are true to this year of bike. Jeez.

Over winter it would be cool if you powered coated the mags and maybe got a front fork brace or smaller fender. Looking good though :)

True to an '82 XS650, yeah, but that particular '80s bike wants to be mistaken for a '60s bike and the lads in the Ace Cafe would say that artillery wheels should only be used on steam trains.
Agree about the fork brace. I put a TKAT fork brace on every XS series bike I own.

Back