What the hell could this be

It looks like a piece of the starter motor windings, maybe? If you have a look at the internals of a starter motor... it looks something like what you have got there.

Here are a few pictures of the motor with right side cover off and a few with the sump plate off

Attachments

• IMG_20190327_152231702.jpg
    IMG_20190327_152231702.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20190327_152232315.jpg
    IMG_20190327_152232315.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20190327_152745255.jpg
    IMG_20190327_152745255.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20190327_152749215_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20190327_152752944_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20190327_154036072.jpg
    IMG_20190327_154036072.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20190327_154145141.jpg
    IMG_20190327_154145141.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20190327_154325482_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 64
It looks like a piece of the starter motor windings, maybe? If you have a look at the internals of a starter motor... it looks something like what you have got there.
But could those migrate to the right hand cover side

Kinda looks like a piece of aluminum house wire that's been formed around a fixture screw. Never know what might have snuck into an open engine whilst setting in the garage
No kids and the wife never goes into that garage

If you haven't found anything unusual on your sump filter screen or on the filter screen on the right side case cover, then I would stop fretting, put the bike back together and enjoy riding it.
I have put a few mile on it already this year and yeah if it was steel I would be more concerned This summer I want to go from MN to Idaho but we always put on at least 500 mile here in MN before we head out west a shakedown for the bikes

I have put a few mile on it already this year and yeah if it was steel I would be more concerned This summer I want to go from MN to Idaho but we always put on at least 500 mile here in MN before we head out west a shakedown for the bikes
It's just bizarre that that piece showed up

Just thinking out loud here....if that chunk was a piece of the starter motor windings, how could it get into the crankcase?

The starter and the rest of the engine are only connected via the starter output shaft and there is no way for a 3/8" piece of copper to get past that....

hmmmm.....

Are you sure you don't have any kids?

Just thinking out loud here....if that chunk was a piece of the starter motor windings, how could it get into the crankcase?

The starter and the rest of the engine are only connected via the starter output shaft and there is no way for a 3/8" piece of copper to get past that....

hmmmm.....

Are you sure you don't have any kids?
44 year old step son and he wouldn't mess with the bike

OK - well, it sure does LOOK like an electrical component.....

Very odd.

If a main crankshaft bearing cage were going, I'd expect to see a lot more bits of copper (or what ever material that is) in the oil and in the two oil "filters" (the little kidney-shaped side filter and the larger sump strainer).

I concur with other respondents that you should ride it and monitor the oil and filters carefully for more debris. I would check anything you find with a magnet too.

If you don't see any more of that coppery looking stuff - I'd go have a frank and open chat with the step-son about his sleep-walking.

Pete

Last edited:

And a cold beer with him once he wakes up

If a main crankshaft bearing cage were going, I'd expect to see a lot more bits of copper (or what ever material that is) in the oil and in the two oil "filters" (the little kidney-shaped side filter and the larger sump strainer).

I concur with other respondents that you should ride it and monitor the oil and filters carefully for more debris. I would check anything you find with a magnet too.

If you don't see any more of that coppery looking stuff - I'd go have a frank and open chat with the step-son about his sleep-walking.

Pete

Very odd.

Pete

Thanks to all you guys!!! I just have to keep checking it once and a while this summer to see if anything else turns up I'm just glad it's not steel I will keep it as a souvenir and hang it on my key chain for more discussions with people on the road

I'm also going to strain the oil as long as I have it in a container

If it was aluminum I'd say it was the end of a dipstick, a popular rolling around in the sump chunk.

Back