What to check after lowside

diab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lowsided at about 5-10 mph today due to wet tires and stupidity. Anyways, my handlebars and left footpeg seem to have taken the brunt of the damage. What else should I check just to be safe? Thanks.

Obviously check anything that is damaged. I would also check the wheels to make sure they are still straight, along with forks. Going that slow if not hitting something to bring it to a sudden stop your prob just fine with what you have already noticed.

If your handlebars are crooked now you can stand in front of the bike with the wheel between your knees and just twist the bars back where they belong.

I've done so many 5 - 10 mph low sides! The most recent coming down the hill from Wounded Knee cemetery. I hill climbed the thing like a pro, with a full pack load on the back (which I had forgotten about!), but on the way down I forgot some fundamentals and got caught in a rut. Had to get my left mirror helicoiled due to that. I stopped at the first machine shop I came to and I think they charged me $30. The bits or taps and the helicoils were in jars that were marked wrong and they almost screwed it up. They tapped iit twice, two different threads. But it worked out in the end.

Last edited:
Straighten the shift lever? They are really tough and can be reformed back to the stock angles (remove from the bike first!) Odds are high it's not the first time the bike was low sided or at least tipped. A round Yamaha alternator cover that doesn't have an arc where the shift lever got it is rare.

Replace em! A superbike or euro bend is an improvement. But we don't know what model you have...

One of my generator covers cracked from the shift lever such that it would have let water in. Dogbunny patched it with JB and gave it a fancy paint job and uses it on his bike.

The easiest way to straighten the lever is put the screw end in a vice and slap it a couple of times with a big hammer on the other end.

Straightening the shift lever sounds easy enough. I already had aftermarket handlebars of some sort that I liked that were put on by the previous owner. Whats the easiest way to tell what they were?

Straightening the shift lever sounds easy enough. I already had aftermarket handlebars of some sort that I liked that were put on by the previous owner. Whats the easiest way to tell what they were?

If ya have a pic of them handlebars on your bike it could help ID them.......or we could just guess........

Sitting on the bike with the front wheel straight or the handle bars square to the bike will tell you if there is something out

Check the risers aren't bent. If they are then the forks or lower triple could be bent.

If ya have a pic of them handlebars on your bike it could help ID them.......or we could just guess........

I will try and find a good picture when I get home tonight. This is the one I could find on facebook, but it doesn't give you a great view of the handlebars.

Attachments

• 579986_10151385035743645_1257730172_n.jpg
    579986_10151385035743645_1257730172_n.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 127
It's the worst view of handlebars I've ever seen :)
What?? Falling off the back of your bike and watching it ghost its way towards a barbed wire fence isn't pleasant? or would you rather be on it?(of course I know its parked):D
Is there any pull back too them?

Got some better pictures. Keep in mind that the left side is bent.

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 122
1st pic the front wheel looks to out of line. Pic doesn't look to be taken square, i can see one side of thew pilot box.

Check your risers and look at the forks from the side and if the whole fork doesn't disappear then either the bottom triple or fork inner is bent.

I think I might know what you are saying, but could you clarify what the risers are? I could guess, but I might as well just ask.

Back