what to do...pig in a poke

If you are not doing any major changes, than go for it.
If he comes back, than maybe he can pay you more for it.

I'm still about, "You can't have your cake and eat it too" though. Expecting someone to buy your bike, but it's still yours, is a little much for me.

IMG_0607.JPG IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0619.JPG That would work if he was just a customer. This is how he left it. I put 72 switchboxes in it. New chain, sprockets. I have it in my shop right now about to put the 1980 rear and front rims back on.

I think i will put it together as a 'flyweight bobber' , spending as little as possible to make it road worthy. I need a caliper rebiuld kit. that looks like the only out of pocket expense. After winter, if i dint hear from him, all bets are off. Gentleman agreement or not. After that, brat kit. And maybe usd forks. Keeping my .22 within grasp.

Ta-dahhhhh
Yes, i know those pods suck. But suprisingly, they work well witt canada-ised bs34s. Did I mention i re-ringed this bike 50 miles ago?

Attachments

• IMG_0621.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 86
There you go. It looks like a real 650 again, lol. No offense, but those blue wheels were just plain awful. Honestly, I think you've done the right thing, rescued the bike from an idiot P.O. After seeing those wheels and those turn signals, there's no telling what he would have done next. Nothing good I'm thinking, lol. Guys like that really need to leave bikes alone and just buy a bus pass.

I could make a long list of styling with bad taste, flat black and wrapped pipes top the list, those robin egg blue rims are added to the list, SAVE THIS BIKE !!!!!!!!!

Scott

Its unforfunate about those blue rims. New spokes, polished hubs, new rubber, but yeah the blue is powder coat.

Angus I understand the "deal". You actually paid for two bikes and miscellaneous. The other bike was given to be titled in your name because sometimes folks just can't own any property or have assets. Only you and he know how this was supposed to work out in the end. Does he get to come back and ask for possession and title at a later date? Again only you and he know the intent of the agreement. This situation only demonstrates the importance of ironing out the what ifs. Surely I am not the only one who has held property for someone during a divorce, bankruptcy, or internment of a friend? And I would hope I am not an only lonely for the idea that my word is my bond. I have freely accepted the responsibility, be it liability or rewards.

And I agree the blue wheels were fugly.

Word is bond....thats why im asking opinions.
What do y'all thinks those rims are worth? $500?

Scott. Agreed on the wrapped pipes. Someone in the classifieds is selling a 2-1 exhaust for $150. Supposedly good shape. I have a pair of clubmans to "sleek" it out. Right now it has 71 bars on it. I plan on taking a inch out of the foks, shortening the side stand, and taking off the center stand. With how low this bike is, the center stand is near useless. I will keep all the shoulder bolts and doo-dads that. BElong to a center stand, and offer up for grabs

With motolana bracket to fit rims to 1980 forksView attachment 90539 View attachment 90540
Hi Angus,
that blue is a shade deeper than the blue that Ariel used on their 1953 models (it was a tribute to the Queen's coronation) but Ariel's blue was quite attractive. With white pinstripes, of course. And Ariel did the entire bike in blue.
Blue rims and a black frame don't have the same appeal.
If that XS650 was done all blue with white pinstripes and it's engine in a natural finish it'd pass for a 1953 Ariel vertical twin from across the street.

the original goal was to paint the tank and sides a matching color with dark blue stripe on the rim shoulders, and 71 style dark blue stripe. I just don't have the money to do that. so Im putting back to stock mod.

Agreed on the wraps and flat black. Im trying to correct that on my bike now. Except I have bed liner "thats looks awesome". Ugh!
Even the lower tubes on the forks have bed liner. What kind of crap is that.

Where did this flat black thing come from? Every time I see flat black my brain says "unfinished", "in process", BBQ, that comes from the hot rod black primer and the primer on replacement panels that need paint. No answers expected, just venting.

Scott

Flat black is the new shiny. Its for guys that cant throw paint.
I found the caliper. In a puddle of water.covered in mud.dang. I expected to buy a rebiuld kit, but realized it had the double hose system. Sure. Throw a braided hose on it. While im at.....my wife took a shining to it. Crap. Now i have to make it safe, and teach the finer points of finesse.
She drives tractor trailor, and is the breaker of all things mechanical. One stomp on the shifter and its over. I taught here the basics of take off on a honda xl250.

Back