what to do with Breather tube after pod filter install

triniriderz

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finishing off the wiring harness and just thought what will happen to the old airbox breather tubs coming out the back of the engine?? Do they need to be capped off or is there something else I need to do after I install pod filters..:shrug:

I capped one, and installed a small breather from Pep Boys on the other. It sits between the air filters.

Attachments

• resized elec box.jpg
    resized elec box.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 2,557
Don't block them off completely, the motor needs to breathe. If blocked, excess pressure can build in the crankcase causing oil leaks and seals to blow. Many of us use a one way power brake check valve. This lets pressure out but not back in and can induce a slight vacuum in the case. This can reduce the likelihood of oil leaks and has been reported to even cure minor ones you may already have.

PowerBrakeCheckValve.jpg

BreatherInstalled.jpg

Poised over your pod, any oil or oil mist that comes out will just get recycled through the motor.

I am trying to clean up the clutter in the carb area. One thing I did was remove the big breather assembly and take out the screens and baffles inside. they just press in. I then cut the box in half, top to bottom. I surfaced the cut with a fine file, re-installed the baffles and screens, and cut off the two goofy looking snorkles. I then just JB Welded (!) in a brass nipple from ACE. I dug around in My fasteners and found some shorter 10mm bolts and reinstalled it, using a new gasket between breather and head. I ran a braided hose back 14 inches and attached to lower front of the battery box ,with a small K&N filter on it. Took about an hour, cost $1.39for the brass nipple.

Attachments

• XS650 Breather 002.jpg
    XS650 Breather 002.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 3,271
I run one side of the breather into a small filter in the vicinity of the pods, and the other side of the breather has a hose going down to the drive-chain (there is already a hole in the case for just such a purpose).

I.

pyroman! I like the mod you did on the breather box, Im kind of confused on just how you were able to re-install the baffles and screen.
If I cut my box in half there is a small ledge or plate inside that was cast in to the housing itself upon manufacture and wont allow room for the removable plates to be re-installed.
Im thinking if I cut it anyway and just leave the baffles out and install just the screen then JBweld a brass fitting in like you did, then a hose with a brake booster check valve like the rest do.
I know it will more than likely work fine, im just wondering what the overall out come will be regarding engine function and reliability?

Add the PCV valve from Mikes and run a filter on it.

2011-09-23_23-00-39_402.jpg
I've got the same valve, but the later-style breather box with a single, cast-in, double-barbed stub. I would like to mount it like you did, right up close to the breather box. How did you attach it? Permanently? If so, do the screws clear the sides of the valve, so you can get an allen wrench into them? (I can't tell from the angle at which the picture was taken.)

MikesXS. Although I'm not a fan of many of their products (or their shady business practices), I do recommend their fuel and breather hose. They're dead ringers for the original stuff with thin walls. You can get American hose for these applications but it's much thicker walled. It works but you can't fit those original protection springs over it. I consider them to be very important, they stop the hose from kinking. In the tight spaces we're dealing with, this is an important consideration.

MikesXS. Although I'm not a fan of many of their products (or their shady business practices), I do recommend their fuel and breather hose. They're dead ringers for the original stuff with thin walls. You can get American hose for these applications but it's much thicker walled. It works but you can't fit those original protection springs over it. I consider them to be very important, they stop the hose from kinking. In the tight spaces we're dealing with, this is an important consideration.

I use the same hose and spring but without the check valve. Is the thin wall hose still okay with the slight vacuum when using the check valve ? It doesn't try to lay flat with suction applied ?
Reason for asking is I'd like to do the same when I find a valve locally as I think it's the best solution for the breather.

I've never noticed the hose being sucked flat but I have the springs on there. I'll bet they help guard against that as well. If the hose is the original, I don't think it would be a concern with or without springs as that stuff is hard as a rock, lol. Luckily, MikesXS sells the breather hose springs as well. What they don't have is a spring clip large enough to fit the ends. I'm still in search of those.

Back