What to do with wheels, forks, brakes

thedocta

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Howdy Yamadudes. Me again. The rookie. I have more questions about my 1975 XS650. The more that I tinker with, read about, and basically dick around with my new found passion the more wreckage I find. This sucker is hit! Not a prob though. It was cheap and I love to learn. I would like to restore my front forks and front brakes and wheel set. I am not looking for this bike to be factory original, I want a rider that performs and looks cool. I like the tracker/cafe/fenderless look. My brakes are difficult to find parts for. 74-76 are unique. So, that being said I need to redo my forks anyway so what should I do here? What years work with what stuff? I would like to keep my spoked wheel set but they are looking rough, any recommendations on where to go with them for restoration? How much is wheel restoration? Should I go with a later set of mag wheels with rear disc? I have a rephase crank and cam, and I am going to get a 750 bore kit to go along with my rephase project so I think that I am going to need good brakes. Any and all recomendations are appreciated, but mostly I am looking for info on the wheels/forks/brakes.

well you already know about mikesXS, here's another one for wheels/forks/brakes componets http://www.650central.com/ personally I think the disc rear is overkill the drum is capable of locking up the rear wheel and once it starts sliding it's to much brake too, re-spoking wheels if you don't want to do it yourself http://www.buchananspokes.net/
p.s. anyone ever tell you, you look just like Jack Elam? :laugh:

Swapping on a '77 or newer front end would be the easiest upgrade. It will fit right on but you'll need the complete set-up - forks, trees, caliper, fender. Also a new style disc to work with the new style caliper. The disc will swap right on to your current wheel.

anyone else wanna chime in here. i am thinking of purchasing a front end from a 79. has anyone else done this swap. anything to look out for? any reason I should respoke and fix the stock brake? anyone know about any other place to relace a wheel?

I have a front end built out of parts from 79-82 on my 75. Yes a 79 will fit on your 75.
Using the 79 front end you will use the trees as well as the forks. The 75 dash won't fit the 79 upper tree with out some sort of adapter.
I ended up using a couple of mending straps about 1 inch long and bending them abit to angle the gauges back to be easier to see.
Now I have a 79 dash. Everything bolts up.
The later 35 mm forks are stiffer than the older 34 mm forks but a still brace helps.
Relacing the wheels isn't hard just time consuming.
I put a disc brake rear mag wheel on my 75. Lots of work, great brakes. Not worth the trouble. The mags are way to heavy. I'm going back to the spoked wheel when I wear this tire out.
Leo

Thanks Leo. If my spoked wheels clean up I would love to keep them, but they are pretty hit. It's big money to get a new set from Buchanan which I may do(come on Power Ball ticket). I am just trying to consider all the factors of cost, time, ability, tools, and money. What disc brake mag wheel did you use and how did you do it? I just picked a RD400 rear disc wheel and it was a great price so I am sure that I can get the money back out of the deal if need be.

I used a 79 XS650 mag. I used all stock disc brake parts. Swing arm, M/C, caliper and bracket, rotor.
Locating and welding the M/C mounts was the hardest part.
Most parts where bolt on. The wheel I got had the bearings but no spacers. I got stuff of Ebay trying to get proper spacers. The drive side spacer is the same disc or drum. It set to sprockets lined up.
On the brake side I couldn't find the right spacer. It has the collar over the seal on it. I used the drum brake spacer but it is too short. The caliper bracket acts as a spacer between the swing arm and the spacer I needed. I had one spacer a bit thick and ground it down till it fit between the drum spacer and the caliper bracket.
It all works ok. Just a pia when putting the wheel back in. The extra spacer is just one more thing to try holding in place while inserting the axle.
I weighed the wheels once, I think the mag was 3 or 5 lbs heavier. Don't recall if that was just the wheel or with a tire.
That extra weight make the wheel/tire combo move slower when going over bumps. This lets the tire stay out of contact with the road more and a harsher ride.
Leo

On your spoke wheels Mike's has spokes. Cadmium plated or stainless steel.
From what others say the Cadmium plated look good. The price is good.
Once you get the rim off, you can poilsh the rims and hub easier. Or get them painted or powdercoated. Then lace up with the new spokes.
Leo

Back