What was your first motorcycle ?

First bike I ever owned was a 125cc Bultaco Sherpa S, I had a bunch of 350/360 Hondas, 2 XS650's, one new in 1983, one used 1983 in 1996.

1984 Honda Shadow 500. Friend suggested to start with a puddle jumper and work my way up. I liked the Honda as it was comfy, had a 5 speed with overdrive, shaft drive and some chrome. Only had it a month though, lent it to friends brother who destroyed it while I drove his car around for the day. He made good though and paid me a little more than I paid for it originally. Never lent out a bike again though in over 24 years.

Mine was a 1977 RD400 (two cycle twin) short on torque, but if you kept it on "the boil" it would reward you with great fun ride. Great handling for the time...I would like to one day find one to play with!

My first motorcycle was really a motorbike I guess but I loved it for sure....The incomparable Whizzer.

Age 12...1952. 60 mph flat ground with a slight tailwind and tucked! Blue

Attachments

• 13657433.jpg
    13657433.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 118
1984 Honda Shadow 500. Friend suggested to start with a puddle jumper and work my way up. I liked the Honda as it was comfy, had a 5 speed with overdrive, shaft drive and some chrome. Only had it a month though, lent it to friends brother who destroyed it while I drove his car around for the day. He made good though and paid me a little more than I paid for it originally. Never lent out a bike again though in over 24 years.

That's how my CM400T met its end as well. Now I don't lend either.

my first bike was a kawasaki 200 that i got free from a friend. i used to ride it to the farm i worked at. then a suzuki 550. now i have a suzuki 400 single and a xs650. it was 45 degrees out today and i took out my 400. had a hell of a grin when she popped off and i was down the road.

Posted via Mobile

one of my earliest memories was my dad had a trike. dont know what it was, but it was big, fat metal flake red, and the body part was like a stylized stillettto, with a seat that went from the operators seat , kind of a king/queen thing, and went way up. Of couse I may have been 2 or 3 yrs old, looked huge to me, and loud,too.
Fast forward 8 years, 10yrs old, dad won a late 70's 80cc dirt bike, was before the factory jacked up the suspension. rode that thru my first growth spurt, sold it to a friend's little brother, and dad, again won a 370 suzuki. rode that in the woods with my brother that had a yamaha 125. did that till 15/16 years old, the suzuki blew up, and I decided to be a self-loathing teenager. Fast forward to 2004, baught a 2003 suzuki marauder, and did the usuals, debaffeled, rejet, then in 2005, went through weld tech, baoght a 1980 xs650, and as they say, the rest is history.

Mine first bike was a Chappy, small bike but with seven years old I see it like a big muscle bike, then some all terrain bikes that give me greats injuries, years later a gn125, then another gn125 and xs650 in building process...

My first "real" motorcycle was an XR75 that I bought from my friends brother for $20. It was cobbled together with random parts. I was able to fabricate enough of the missing parts to get it running. Sold it a short time later for $120.

Around the same time I bought my first mini-bike. That was the bike that gave me my first taste of two-wheeled freedom. My cousin and I would blast off early in the morning, stop at the gas station, flip the guy a quarter, fill up the tank, then ride all day long.

My chopper reminds me a lot of the old mini-bike. I didn't even realize the parallels when I was building it. I guess I was subconsciously trying to relive the glory days.

First bike was a Rupp Roadster, 5 hp, suspension, and a chrome gas tank...wished I still had it. Next came a 65 Bonneville, a 100cc moto beta, few more triumphs, then my Harleys which included a 65 Panhead, couple of shovels, three or four different XS's and now my Roadking. And my current two XS650's

My first motorcycle was a Yamaha XS2, bought in 1973. Now 38 years later, having owned a Suzuki GS550E, Yamaha RD125, Honda CB550K, Ducati ST2, and a Ducati 250 Scrambler (which I still have, it's a basket case), I have another Yamaha XS650, this time a "Special", which I never really liked, so I'm making it a mild cafe bike.

DLD1

Well after the Honda was smashed it was replaced with a 500 Virago, not a better bike than the Honda but seemed lighter and faster. Traded it in on a FZ750 with a Vance and Hines 4 into 1 SuperSport.... shit it was loud. After the output shaft bearing failed (way to go Yamaha Engineers)... I rebuild it and traded it in on a YSR 80. Brand new!.. Traded that for an RZ350R, had a bunch of those and some RD 350LCs as well. Hawk GT for a few years, Honda F2 Honda CBR600RR and now I have the Honda CM400, the XS Chopper and my 2005 R1... I think I missed a bunch in between there somewhere.. scooters and some vintage stuff.. oh well.. the mind is going.

YZ80
Brought at age15 & kept at a mate place just like the Air rifle I had & still have a pellet buried in under my jour bone.

2005 Ninja 250R... got her new when I started riding, and still have her. These bikes are one of the must underrated, under-appreciated little marvels on the planet.

TC

Last edited:
Back